Alternative Rock deconstructions Franz Ferdinand – Do You Want To
• The establishing shot is of the singer in a spotlight which would be a record label demand to develop a recognisable brand.• There is then close up shot’s of all remaining band members, all of which in the spotlight, again this would be a record label demand. The spotlight would cause them to be centre of attention focusing all viewers attention onto the band members.
• The band members are shown together all in matching outfits, which shows they are a group, in black and red striped tee’s, a leather jacket and black skinny jeans, this sort of outfit is stereotypically rocky, also everyone in the background is in suits which shows that rockers have a wild side and don’t go by the rules, which is a well known stereotype.
• All band members grab a glass of champagne, it is also stereotypical that rockers drink a lot so this would be a trait of the genre.• There is then a close up shot of the lead singer which is creating a brand image.• The band members then dance jokingly, this is a trait of many alternative and punk rock videos, they don’t take themselves too serious.
• In alternative rock videos a trait is that the band will joke around this is shown by the band members bumping into other people, acting drunk, then rearranging the letters onto the board to spell ‘cunt’.• There is then a series of close up shots of the lead singer and other band members, meeting record label demands and creating a brand image.
• The song name ‘Do You Want To’ was shown in a microscope, which would be a record label demand promoting the song. It also refers to the notion of looking.• There are again more close up shots of the band members creating the brand image.• Then there is a shot of the band performing which is a popular trait of the genre alternative rock.
• The song name is then promoted again on a bottle where you think the band member is having a pee but actually it’s just promoting.• There are more close up shots which are record label demands and performance shots which is an alternative rock genre trait, and also the song name is written again above the band.
• The band members are then doing the ‘can can’ with near naked women, a stereotype of alternative rockers is that they attract a lot of female attention, also that they do not take life too seriously.• The crowd is then dancing to the song which would be a performance shot which is an alternative rock trait.
• There are more performance shots and then there is sychronized guitar playing which shows they are a group, with the crowd in the background, so this would be a performance shot.• There is then 2 shots of on beat editing where the band and then the band and the crowd walk forward, this would be matching music and visuals.
• There is another band shot which would be record label demands.• Then the band members throw the microphone stand in the air and throw about the guitars, this is a trait of many rock videos for the final part of the song.