• The business requirements will form the basis of future projects and will determine the
• If a ‘need’ is not raised as a requirement, the project will not know that the system must
perform an action- therefore it will not be included within the scope of the project or
included within the end solution.
• The requirements will be base-lined at the end of the Initiate Phase. Any requirements
submitted after this date will not be accepted without a change request and associated
funding (where applicable).
• The identified business stakeholders are responsible for ensuring that all requirements are
raised during the Initiate Requirements gathering process.
The Importance of Requirement Gathering
• What do you sell?
• How is it sold?
• How much does it cost?
• Who are your ‘customers’?
• Who are the ‘sellers’?
• Describe your ecosystem (partners, customers, competitors)
General Questions- Discussion
• What groups make up the team? What are their roles and responsibilities? Provide a brief
description of the existing sales organisation.
• How do the teams currently communicate and interact?
• What are the strategy, goals and objectives?
• What tools/ systems are currently used? How are they used?
• Who currently uses these tools?
• How many people use the system?
• What is the experience of the user?
• What projects are underway at the moment to change the current system?
General Questions cont.… Discussion
• Describe your typical day.
• How do you identify potential customers?
• Who initiates relationships?
• How do you contact customers?
• Who manages relationships?
• Do you track information about contacts? If so, what details are important?
• Do you track information about companies? If so, what details are important?
Identifying Customers- Discussion
• How do you segment your customers?
• What activities/ engagements do you want to track?
• What information is shared between different teams?
Tracking Customer Engagements- Discussion
• How do you forecast sales?
• Describe the lifecycle of a sale?
• How you turn a prospect into a customer? What are the steps, what are the activities that
are needed to support this?
• Do you have different processes for existing and new customers?
• Do you have different processes per segment?
• Is any of the sales function outsourced? Are agencies used for any of the sales function?
• How do you measure sales performance?
The Sales Process- Discussion
• Who can create a deal or sale?
• Who needs to approve a deal or sale?
• Who needs to review a deal or sale?
• Who should be notified when a deal or sale is made?
Sales Approvals- Discussion
• What happens once a ‘deal’ has been agreed?
• How are the terms documented?
• How are contracts created?
• How is finance setup?
• How is the invoice paid?
The Purchase Process- Discussion
• What reports do you currently get out of the system?
• What information do you not get from the system?
• What information is taken from the system and shared globally?
Management Information & Reporting- Discussion