Successfully reported this slideshow.
Activate your 14 day free trial to unlock unlimited reading.
By: Amanda Adams
AKA The Teaching Jedi
Teachers Creating a Brand Name
• AKA Amanda Adams
Scan this QR Code to
get to my blog!
• 13+ years teaching
• Distance Ed, Tech Coach, LA, ELL, SS
• Twitter - @amsuad
• Blog - http://bit.ly/amsuad_blog
• Student Website - www.teachingjedi.com
Questions to address...
• What is a brand? Have any questions?
• Why do I need one?
• How do I streamline my online
• What do I use to build a
What is a brand anyway?
FACE OF YOUR WORK
"You are essentially creating a "face" for what students will
experience in your classroom..."
-Terry Heick, The Importance of Branding Your Classroom
A brand can be...
• a name an image
• a quick, simple, and memorable statement
• what you are known for
• an emotion, a perception
"It has been said that learners may
not remember much about what you
teach them, but they'll never forget
how you made them feel. That's
brand." - Terry Heick
Why do I need a brand?
"Basically any way a kid or a parent might look to find &
contact you - your program and practice should be there."
- Gwyneth Jones, Transparency is the New Black
MANAGING YOUR REPUTATION
"With the surge of Social Media, you have not only the
ability, but you now have the need to manage your own
reputation, both online and in real life."
-Forbeswoman, The First Step to Building Your Personal Brand
A brand is useful because you are...
• accessible to & communicating
with your target audience
• choosing what to be known
• using specific tools that meet your needs
Accessibility & Communication
• Class archive • Newsletters
• Homework help • Class reminders
• Extensions • Parent updates
• Resources • Advertise
What is your...
How do people access you?
When they Google you, what will they find?
1. What would be beneficial to you?
1. What do your constituents have access to?
1. Who is your target audience?
2. What do you/they need?
3. What tools are you using?
4. What tools do you have access to?
How do I
To streamline online presence...
• Choose a simple name
• Choose an avatar/symbol
• Use it everywhere
• Choose your tools carefully
• Advertise it to constituents
1. What needs do you have to fill?
2. What tools would you like to try?
3. What tools are available to you
in-district or online?
• Blog or Website - for resources
• Twitter or Blog - for announcements, updates
• Facebook - for sharing pics, work, or successes
• Create a recognizable avatar
• Acquire the domain name
Activity: Check Out Examples
The Daring Librarian Catlin Tucker Bill Ferriter
Eric Sheninger -
Cool Cat Teacher
Where do I start?
1. Identify who you are or want to be
2. Identify what you need
3. Pick a tool or two
4. Visibly connect with your audience
Still not sure? Consider this... Transparency is the New Black
1. What is your style?
2. What do you want to be known as?
3. What are some words/nicknames/ideas
associated with you?