Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Creating Value and Flow in Product Development

22,175 views

Published on

Let's consider the time it takes to go from agreeing to do something to a customer receiving value. It may come as a surprise, but most of that time is not spent working. It's spent waiting.

John Cutler, Product Evangelist at Amplitude explains why most of a product developers time is spent waiting and how limiting work in progress, the scope of work and handoffs can increase flow and value.

Published in: Software
  • Be the first to comment

Creating Value and Flow in Product Development

  1. 1. Value and Flow @johncutlefish
  2. 2. Time spent waiting Time spent working We should
 do this! Customer value
  3. 3. We should
 do this! Customer value <15% of total duration Time spent working
  4. 4. 40 Hour Week A A A A B B Lunch Diagnosing production issues Status checks and ETA
 updates for future work Estimating future work Meetings about future work Waiting for CI, tooling issues Delayed by technical debt
 (not working through it) Hiring new people
 (response to “going slow”) A Value add project A B Value add project B Context switching, “resetting”
 Getting started, focusing
  5. 5. 40 Hour Week Lunch Diagnosing production issues Status checks and ETA
 updates for future work Estimating future work Meetings about future work Waiting for CI, tooling issues Delayed by technical debt
 (not working through it) Hiring new people
 (response to “going slow”) A Value add project A B Value add project B Context switching, “resetting”
 Getting started, focusing A B
  6. 6. TO DO DOING DONE Blocked / waiting on others RUSH RUSH Is it really done? Is it actually working?
  7. 7. Pragmatic Optimistic Want to please Want to respect others Want to avoid conflict
  8. 8. We think…. More upfront planning Strict definitions of done Better estimates More resources Team commitments …will help.
  9. 9. Actually…. Less work in progress Smaller batches Fewer hand-offs Cross-functional teams More solution flexibility Addressing core impediments Cross-training …will help.
  10. 10. Crap delivered quickly (and sustainably) is still crap (unless we learn something, and act on that learning…)
  11. 11. Output velocity Value creation velocity vs.
  12. 12. Feature factory Value creation system vs.
  13. 13. I’ll pay you $200,000 for something that does A, B, and C. We are 60% confident we should focus here. We have a couple ideas we’d like to try. If we’re successful it should impact mid and long-term revenue. Project Product
  14. 14. If we can spend 100hrs doing this our profit will be $X If we place the right bets and respond quickly to the market, we’ll be able to thrive as a company Project Product $$$ $ $$ $ $ $$$X X X X X
  15. 15. 52% chance of winning 48% chance of winning
  16. 16. Team A Team B
  17. 17. Speed matters. But so does flow and cadence. Respond Sense Respond Sense Sense Respond Sense Respond Sense Respond Sense Respond Sense Respond Sense Respond
  18. 18. Opportunity potential. More clear as we learn. Value realized Time Value
  19. 19. Value realized Time Value Forecasted opportunity Might even be “faster” !
  20. 20. Converge earlier Converge later Analysis Solution Development “Ship” Opportunity Selection Design & Develop D&D D&D D&D D&D D&D
  21. 21. Model for how value is created and monetized Focus on a 
 place to intervene (Opportunity) To Try Trying Outcome
  22. 22. Get in touch … it would be fun to work together.
  23. 23. Busy-ness Saying yes Illusion of certainty Plausible deniability Individual survival Delivery cadence Feature delivery Sense of momentum Sustainable flow Addressing impediments Learning Value creation velocity Minimizing complexity/value Innovation Sense of impact
  24. 24. Thanks! @johncutlefish

×