the earlier lectures, we have discussed:
is termed to be the approach
taken to treat the marketing activity, to
attain the expected result.
Creative imagination knows NO BOUNDARIES.
Ad copywriters are always creative writers as they
think of couple of lines to covey the message
Hutch service provider
Agency: O&M, mumbai – Piyush pandey & team
Brother is followed by little sister (symbolic mobile network)
- thn was the little sister was replaced by the dod – PUG
Pidilite – Fevicol
Agency: O&M, mumbai – Piyush pandey & team
Crowded village bus with roof top occupancy making the audience
wonder – whether any of the traveller fall off from the bus? But then
the camera goes to the fevicol panel stuck on the bus and there is a
fevicol who have made every traveller on the roof stick to the bus.
It provides guidelines for the ad specialists, involved in the production:
- To whom - target audience, what – Ad message, what manner – Ad copy
Defines the creative output should look and what message the advertiser wants to
After setting the creative objective, it is essential to identify the audience at which the
message is to be targeted. It depends on – demographics (age, gender, sex, race,
education, occupation, income) psychographics (social-class, religion, lifestyle,
hobbies & personality) and geographic characteristics (place of residence of TG)
Primary selling proposition (PSP):
Various benefits can be derived from the product. The PSP should be a benefit the
target market is able to relate to. PSP differentiate the product from the competitors’
similar products. (eg- washing machine – PSP – washes clothes clean)
Secondary selling proposition (SSP):
However, just the PSP is not sufficient for an advertisement and the SSP has to be
selected. (eg – washing machine - SSP – eco friendly / consumes less water qty)
The fact that supports the point that PSP & SSP claims. It includes the facts & figures.
The continuous R&D activities of the company to improve the product can also be
highlighted in the advertisement.
Tone & Manner:
Prediction of – how the target audience will feel after viewing the ad. What may be
the perception value that they might take out of the advertisement. Again it depends
on / differs from target audiences’ demographics, psychographics and geographic
characteristics. (aao banaye kuch behter - ???)
A manner in which the advertising message is developed and expressed to
derive a particular consumer response or influence the buying behaviour.
- Price appeal
- Humour appeal
- Star appeal
- Quality appeal
- Fear appeal
- Reminder ad
- Feature appeal
- Music appeal
- Teaser ad
- Competitive advt.
- Sex appeal
- News apppeal
- Product / Service
Rational appeal is also called as a logical or informational appeal. They show features
and attributes, which is very informative.
- Price appeal – These advertisement highlights more on the price aspect of the
product advertised. (eg – Chota coke, chota perk, 2 shots in 2 rs) Recession tym.
- Quality appeal - This type of ad copy emphasize on the quality of the product.
Products using this appeal should ideally be known for their good quality.
- Feature appeal – This type of appeal is being chosen for designing the ad for
services, or by technical and high involvement products. (eg Hawkins – Mahima C.)
- Competitive advantage appeal – The comparison of the product is made with the
leader in the industry. H&S – anti dandruff shampoo compared with others.
- News appeal – The advertisement talk about the news – new innovation technology
/ break through / achievement etc.
- Product / service popularity appeal – These ad shows the popularity of the brand
within the target group. Eg – Malyalam manorama claims to be the most popular,
preferred and leading newspaper in Kerala, stresses on its top position in the print ad.
Ads with emotional appeal uses human feelings like warmth, affection humour or fear
to evoke the favourable response in the viewer.
- Humour appeal – Age factor to be considered and it helps in creating positive mood
& people become receptive.
- Fear appeal - This type of ad copy emphasize on the safety aspect. Ads like
healthcare, personal insurance takes this type of approach. Recall is HIGH.
- Music appeal – Music used in the advertising - background score, quality of voice
over used. The music generally depends on the theme and the music or jingle iz often
remembered by the viewer. (eg – Dairy milk, airtel)
- Sex appeal – Some of the advertisers use sexuality and nudity in advertisement to
attract the attention of the viewers. Bisleri – play safe. (eg – Dairy-milk Silk, Axe
deo, jockey – play to win).
Apart from the rational and emotional appeals, advertisers use many other types of
appeals to attract the attention of the viewers. The following are some appeals:
- Star appeal – Famous personalities endorsing the product and talking about it. It
should be taken care that the image of the endorser and the product goes well
together (eg: Amitabh B. for Chyvanprash, Sachin for Boost)
- Reminder advertisements - Market is a place of innovation where many competitive
products overlap any product doing good at a time. The purpose of the reminder ads
is to remind that certain product still exists in the market. Some reminder ads are
season based – Summer – Several drinks, rasna ads / Rainy – SUN umbrella print ads
- Teaser advertisement – This type of adverts give a short preview about a new
launching product or event. A lot of curiosity at the initial stages means that the
advertisement will attract the attention of the viewers.