Intended learning outcome:
Differentiate between generalized and localized
Recognize the causes of generalized lymphadenopathy.
Recognize the causes of localized lymphadenopathy.
Understand the role of dentist in patient with lymphadenopathy.
Enumerate the management of lymphadenopathy
Lymphadenopathy: refers to lymph nodes that are
(Abnormalities may be localized or generalized)
is defined as enlargement of
more than 2 noncontiguous
lymph node groups.
it involves enlargement of a
single node or multiple
contiguous nodal regions.
• Epstein-Barr Virus
• Herpes simplex
• Group A streptococcus
• Mycobacteria: typical and atypical
• Anaerobic bacteria
Investigation and Treatment
BLOOD Chest X-ray Biopsy
• No specific treatment for lymphadenopathy
• Treatment of the cause is the rule
infection Hypersensitivity Neoplastic Other disorders
Herpes simplex malignant
amyloidosis Hisriocytosis x
1. Dan L. Longo, Anthony S. Fauci, Dennis L. Kasper, Stephen L.
Hauser, J. Larry Jameson, Joseph Loscalzo, (eds.) Harrison's
Principles of Internal Medicine,18th edition .United state:McGraw
Hill Professional, 2011.p.465,466,467.
2. Steven L. Bricker, B C Decker, Robert P. Langlais, Craig S. Miller.
Oral Diagnosis, Oral Medicine, and Treatment Planning, Second
Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins,1994.p.67,73,74.
3. Martin S. Greenberg, Michael Glick . Burket's Oral Medicine:
Diagnosis and Treatment, Tenth Edition. B.C. Decker,2002.p.18,19.
Thank you for your attention!
Do you have any questions ;-)