Email marketing & Science of Storytelling
• Science of storytelling
• Types of stories you can use in email-marketing
• Effective storytelling in emails
• How to profit from this channel
Dr Amit Nagpal, PhD
Business Storyteller @AL Services, Speaker &
Digital Storytelling Coach
Science of Storytelling
• For 27,000 years +, since cave paintings era, telling
stories has been our most fundamental communication
• Human brain is wired for narrative story
• Stories put whole brain to work (senses + emotions)
• Stories stay in sub conscious mind
• Emotional connect
3 E’s of Email
Key to creating an effective story
Part - I
The world before the change
Paint a picture of the reader’s world as it was
Part - II
Show the drama that created a shift
Part – III
Show them how your product can be a resolution to the
Sales Promotion vs Storytelling
• Hard offers need space in between.
• Every hard offer is withdrawing from emotional bank
• If you don’t make deposits through stories and content, it
will soon run dry.
• Why behind the offer?
• Special offer itself becomes more believable because of a
“Reason Why” type of story.
SMEs & Storytelling
• Provide useful but incomplete content in the story, and
then connect the story to your product/service
• Your whole email doesn’t have to be a story.
• Empathetic stories-Building a shared connection
B2B vs B2C-Are they different?
• Emotional appeal and connect
• Logical appeal (Technical features)
• H2H approach
Tips and Tricks
• Use images of the real people
• Show your authentic personality to connect
• Users only spend two seconds on each email-Ensure they
get the basic info
• Images should reflect your core branding
• Early-stage emails should focus on building rapport
through memorable stories.
• Sales emails require deep understanding of each individual