Bigg Boss: Heaven or Hell
Complete Social Media Report
• To analyze the social media presence of Bigg Boss
• To understand the influence of various factors that attributed
to the success of the show
• Search Definition: Bigg Boss, Big Boss
• Duration: October 11, 2013 – December 31, 2013
– Geographical: Global
– Online: Social media, blogs, Video sharing sites and web in
Bigg Boss is?
• Indian Reality show based on Dutch show ‘Big Brother’
• Television Telecast rights owned initially by Sony TV. Now Colors TV
broadcasts the show.
• Total number of seasons so far: 7
• Season 7 Air time: Sept 15 – Dec 28, 2013
• Host of Season 7: Salman Khan
• Winner of Season 7: Gauhar Khan
How does it work?
• A number of contestants live in a purpose-built house and are
isolated from the rest of the world.
• Each Week of the housemate will be evicted from the house based
on internal nomination and public voting.
• Winner at the end of 104 days takes home Rs. 500,000
Everyone is talking Bigg Boss
• A total of 76,847 mentions across the web were recorded.
• Daily Online chatter around the show peaked on Nov 8, 2013 at
1,680 mentions and bottomed on December 1, 2013 at 223
Social Media Chatter Distribution
• While Facebook managed to gather the fan following around the
show. Twitter managed to entice chatter around the show.
Facebook Fans: 4.2 million+
Twitter Followers: 100,000+
Facebook mentions: 14,843
Twitter Mention: 36,475
• Google+ failed to establish its presence as a social networking site
considering that the number of mentions of the show on the “social
networking site” were half the number of videos of the show on the web.
And Google+ Distribution
Overall Online ChatterTanks
When do People talk
• Social media became the second screen for the show where people could
not only see but also interact with the show.
• The most popular days of the week based on the social media buzz were:
Saturday: The eviction day
Wednesday: The day of the major task
People Like It More Than They Hate It
Most hated personalities
1. Sofia Hayat: 12.67%
2. Armaan Kohli: 11.37%
Most Loved Personalities
1. Elli: 22.84%
2. Asif: 22.08%
3. Salman: 21.05%
Everyone Loves Bad Boys
• The celebrity who managed to capture the maximum attention of the
audience was not a contestant but the beloved host and superstar Salman
Khan who was present in 22% of all the conversations around Bigg Boss.
• Among contestants, Bad Boys Kushal Tandon and Armaan Kohli captured
the attention of the audience the most with mention share of 12% and
• The two finalist Tanisha and Gauhar managed to capture 4th and 5th place
with 10% and 9% chatter. *
*The result does not include the post finale chatter to ensure an unbiased analysis of the
social media as Gauhar being the winner dominated the chatter after the finale.
Salman got more mentions than 14 least
popular contestants combined
– Couples on Bigg Boss drove 26% of total social media chatter around
– Ironically, the married couple Shilpa-Apoorva managed to capture very
little chatter, whereas audience couldn’t keep their eyes off ArmaanTanisha and Kushal-Gauhar.
• The Controversy
– The arrest of Armaan Kohli was maybe best thing ever happened to
– The actor managed to get 630 mentions around the show on the day
of his arrest. Considering that this was 75% more than his earlier best
and was the highest mentions anyone including Salman Khan
managed to capture in a day.