Research Graph: Connecting Identifiers across Research Data Infrastructures
Research Graph: Connecting
Identifiers across Research
Dr. Amir Aryani
Project Manager, Australian National Data Service (ANDS), http://ands.org.au
at Australian National University (ANU), http://people.anu.edu.au/amir.aryani
Co-chair of DDRI working group, Research Data Alliance, http://rd-alliance.org
email: firstname.lastname@example.org, twitter.com/amir_at_ands
This presentation on "Creating a Distributed Graph using RD-Switchboard" by Dr. Amir Aryani is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
● Challenge of cross-platform discovery
● Research Data Alliance working groups
● Example of Research Graph connections and Neo4j queries
● Impact of identifiers on connections
Question: What other researchers or research
activities are connected to this work?”
● What other related datasets has been published by the authors?
● What are the related publications to this dataset?
● What is the research portfolio of the authors related to this work?
● What research projects are related to this dataset?
Data Description Registry Interoperability (DDRI) WG
Goal: Enabling Cross-platform Discovery
between research data infrastructures
Using Neo4j and RD-Switchboard
● match (n:dataset) where n.doi='10.4225/35/563159f223739' return n
● match (n:dataset)--(r:researcher) where n.doi='10.4225/35/563159f223739'
return r.first_name, r.last_name
● match (r:orcid:researcher) where r.first_name='David' and
r.last_name='Ellsworth' return r.orcid
Find all the publications by 3 degrees of separation
● match (n:dataset)-[*1..3]-(p:publication) where
n.doi='10.4225/35/563159f223739' return n.title limit 50
Impact of identifiers: DOI
Case A: match (d:dataset)--(m) where not exists(d.doi) return count(distinct(d))
Case B: match (d:dataset)--(m) where exists(d.doi) return count(distinct(d))
Impact of identifiers: ORCID
Case A: match (r:researcher)--(m) where not exists(r.orcid) return count(distinct(r))
Case B: match (r:researcher)--(m) where exists(r.orcid) return count(distinct(r))
● President Identifiers has a crucial role in enabling connections in Research
Graph and enabling functionality of the Switchboard platform.
● Research Graph distributed graph currently more than ten million nodes from
CERN, Dryad, ORCID, figshare, ANDS, NII Japan, and a number of other
international partners. This data can be used for research in collaboration
● The Research Graph is an open collaborative project. If you are interested to
work with the project partners, please
○ Join DDRI Working Group:
○ and contact email@example.com
● More information: