How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning andevaluation stages?Our initial media technologies we used were for the research and planning process.For this process we used the internet, ILP to converse with teachers, the internet andthe blog to upload our research and planning material.InternetAlthough we had watched various documentaries in class, we used andto get a further understanding and also watch documentaries which would bespecific to us as a group.Above are two screenshots ofdocumentaries we watched in class but then watched again in our own time to makenotes of codes and conventions.We used BBC iplayer to watch a documentary called mixed Britannia, which wasspecific to our topic of integration on society.
We also needed facts and statistics of the population in England, as well as thepopulation of different races of people living in England, and we got this offnumerous websites on Google to check our accuracy.As well as our previous knowledge of creating a magazine, from our as AScoursework, we also used the internet to look at real double page spread articles tonote down familiar codes and conventions that we would use.
BlogOur blog was an essential part of our coursework as it allowed us to share ourinformation we had gathered with our other group members. For example, adocumentary I had watched was then accessible to my peers and statistics they hadfound were accessible to me. Another feature of the blog was that it enabled us toembed YouTube videos straight onto it, and they could be watched on the blogwhich meant that we did not have to go onto YouTube and look for a video.We used our individual learning plans (ILP) to converse with teachers and ask them ifthey would be willing to feature in our documentary.
After we had researched and planned, the next stage was the actual construction ofthe documentary. All of our work was done on Apple Mac computers. We used theseas, they allowed us to use the relevant software, and it was also easy to upload ourfootage from both the documentary and radio trailer. We used the Macs for all threeof our tasks.To shoot our documentary we needed a camera, microphone, tripod, headphonesand a voice recorder. • We used a Canon HD Video Recorder and it was a small hand-held size which made it easier to get a variety of shots. As well the shot variety we could also add special effects from the camera. • The Microphone plugged into the camera easily which meant that we did not have to first record the visual side and then the audio. We had to make sure that the microphone was out of sight so that it wasn’t visible in the documentary. • The tripod was used for formal interviews, as if we had used the hand- held camera on its own; the clip would have been slightly shaky and would not have looked professional. • Headphones were used for the person who was recording on the camera, so that they could hear the sound clearly, how it would be heard on the documentary. • For the narration we didn’t use a microphone, we used a voice recorder which was then added to the documentary later.Once we had gathered our footage we had to upload it onto the Macs. The softwarewe used to construct our documentary was called Final Cut Express. At thebeginning of the process we had a large amount of clips, but viewing them on FinalCut Express allowed us to see which clips we wanted to use. We added effects suchas transitions, montage’s etc, adjusted sound levels and also added backgroundmusic with this software.
Music and sound levels, we Footage and clips. had two different sound clips as well as the voice over so that it would not Viewer sound monotonous.After we had completed our documentary it was time to construct the radio trailer.The software we used for this was called ‘Garage Band’. Garage band was similar toFinal Cut Express, as most of the controls were the same, except it was slightly easieras there were no visual clips. Another feature of Garage Band was that we were ableto find the same background music we had found without transferring it from FinalCut Express. Again we used the same voice recorder for the narration and voice over.The final task was the construction of the magazine. As I have mentioned before, wewere lucky to have knowledge on this subject from our AS coursework. We usedAdobe Photoshop, to edit our images and also add text onto pictures.
The majority of the work for themagazine was done on Adobe In Design. It was easier to use than Photoshop and itwas the most appropriate software to use for text. We arranged the pictures withthe text in a way that would make it look real, and resemble a real double pagespread article.There were numerous different effects on this software and these are just a few thatwe used. To add our Photoshop images, we had to click ‘File’, ‘Place’ and then clickon the image and place it into this box so that it would not ruin the rest of thearticle.
There were many features on InDesign, including the ‘drop shadow’ effect whereyou could adjust the shadow to be smaller or bigger.If we wanted to make all of the text appearin upper case or lower case,we didn’t have to type it outagain, we simply clicked one of these buttons. Here is a screenshot of the different swatches we used.