What is Al-Quran?<br />Al-Quran is the holy book for Muslims. It is miraculous word of Allah revealed to Prophet Muhammad through the angel Jibreel. Therefore, Al-Quran is a wahy or divine revelation that has reached us through or a holy connection starting from Allah to the angel Jibreel to the prophet Muhammad. The Wahy or Quranic revelation is regarded by Muslims as the exact words of Allah.<br />
What is Al-Quran?<br />As you learned earlier Allah revealed a few books to past prophets and messengers: <br />Taurat or the original Torah of Musa (Moses) <br />Zabur or the original Psalms of Daud (David) <br />Injil or the Original Gospel of Isa (Jesus)<br />Al-Suhuf the scrolls of Ibraheem. <br />
What is Al-Quran?<br />Many years later Allah revealed Al-Quran to prophet Muhammad, the prophet was 40 years old when the Quran began to be revealed to him and he was 63 when the revelation was completed <br />
The revelation of Al-Quran <br />The revelation of Al Quran started in the month of Ramadan during the year 610 AD at that time prophet Muhammad was in a cave called GharHiraaon the Jabal-un-Nooror the mountain of light near MakkahJibreelAA continued to teach prophet Muhammad passages of al Quran every now and then . the revelation continued throughout the following 23 years of the life of Rasoloullahuntil he passed away . at that point revelation of Al-Quran was completed .<br />
Makkan and Madani chapters: <br />The scholars of Al-Quran described the suwar of Al-Quran that were revealed before Al-Hijrah as سور مكية suwarMakkiyyah or Makkan chapters. Most of these where revealed while the prophet was in Makkah. On the other hand they described the suwar revealed after Hijrah as سور مدنية suwarMadaniyyah or Madani chapters. Most of these chapters were revealed while the prophet was in Madina. <br />
The structure of Al-Quran:<br />The Quran is made of 114 suwar (chapters). Each surah of Al-Quran made of few or many Ayaat, or verses. The longest Surah in Al-Quran has 286 Ayaat while the shortest Surah has only three Ayaat, Surat-ul-Kawthar. The rest of Suwar has different numbers of Ayaat that fall in between. Like the Suwar have different length, the Ayaat have different lengths too. <br />
What is Al-Quran?<br />The suwar of Al-Quran are not put in chronological order. Al-Quran starts with Surat-ul-Fatiha and end with Surat-un-Nas some of the suwar or chapters of Al-Quran are long, others are very short.<br />Among the long suwar are:<br />Baqarah (The Cow)<br />'Aali-'Imraan (The Family of 'Imraan<br />Nisaaa' (Women)<br />Maaa-'idah (The Table Spread)<br />'An-'aam (Cattle)<br />'A'-raaf (The Heights)<br />Anfaal (Spoils of War)<br />The above suwar are called السبع الطوال the long seven<br />
Al-Quran?<br />There are 30 أجزاء parts, each Juzu' has number of Suwar. The great scholars of Islam divided the Quran into 30 equal parts. This way its easier for us to read in one moth as the prophet recommended us to do.<br />عن عبدالله بن عمرو قال: قال لي رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: إقرأ القرآن في شهر<br />
Al-Quran deserves our respect: <br />We all know that Al-Quran is the most important book for Muslims. Since it is then it should be treated with the utmost respect. You should realize that you are holding the words of Allah in your hands.<br />
1. Taharah and cleanliness:<br />It is recommended that you should have Wudoo' when reading Al-Quran and touching it. Think about it for a moment, if you are going to visit a very important person you will make sure that you are clean, neat and have the best cloths on. Reading Al-Quran means you are getting closer to Allah, so you have to be clean and well kept. <br />
2. Face the direction of prayer (Qiblah) to recite:<br />Its also recommended that you should face the Qiblah when reading the Quran. <br />
3. Humble heart and Khushoo':<br />When carrying Al-Quran it is important to realize that you are holding Allah's words in your hands. Can you think of any words better than Allah's words? Khushuoo' is having your heart humbled and connected with Allah while worshipping him. <br />
5. Observing Ahkam Al-Tajweed or Rules of recitation:<br />Its important to pronounce the words correctly as best as you can. You should learn to read the Quran according to Ahkam Al-Tawjeed<br />قال تعالى: ورتل القرآن ترتيلا recite the Quran according to the rules of recitation. <br />
6. Al-Tadabbur: التدبر<br />Which means reflection or deep understanding of Al-Quran, its focusing on the meaning and guidance. Its very important to pay attention to the meaning of the words you are reading.<br />Afterwards you should reflect on the lessons you have learnt in the Quran. <br />Its easier to experience Tadabburwhen you:<br />- have good intention and mean to reflect on what you read.<br />- recite in a calm place, like the Masjidor quiet place.<br />- recite while you are comfortable and relaxed.<br />
7. Interacting with the Quran: <br />For example when reading about Jannah the reader should be happy and hopeful and ask Allah to grant him-her Jannah. And when the reader goes through Ayaat on the Judgment day hellfire the reader should feel scared.<br />
8. Handle it with care and respect:<br />At all times, we should handle the Quran and carry it with the utmost respect. The Quran is not just any object, it’s the words f Allah<br />There should be no eating or drinking while reading the Quran. Make sure you keep the Quran in place where it will be safe and respected. <br />
9. Implementing the Quran:<br />This is the most important Duty we need to fulfill toward the Quran. Allah sent his book to us so we would implement it and apply its guidance . <br /> <br /> <br />
Names in the Quran<br /><ul><li>Allah mentioned the names of twenty five prophets and messengers including Adam, Nooh, Hood , Idrees, Salih Isa and Muhammad.
Maryam is the only women whose name is explicitly mentioned in the Quran and her name is also the title of a surah.
ZaidIbnHaritha was the only Sahabi who has his name mentioned explicitly in Al-Quran.
Three mosques are refered to in the Quran Al-Masjid Al-Haram, AL-Masjid Al-Aqsa, MasjidQubaa. </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>.</li>