of the Human
Liannette Bellido Cintrón
BIOLOGY AND GEOLOGY
• All living things are made up of cells, the
most basic and fundamental unit.
• Cells are capable, by themselves, of the
three vital functions: nutrition, interaction
• The cells in a multicellular organism come
together to form a superior structure that
carries out these funtions.
• Characteristics of multicellular
– All the cells in a multicellular
organisms cells come from the
division of one initial cell, called the
zygote or egg cell.
– Despite all our cells come from one
inicial cell, multicellular organisms
are made up of different cells,
specialized in different functions.
– As a consecuence of the
especialization of these cells, the
organism shares the work between
– All the cells of an organism co-
ordinate their activities to allow a total
activity of the organism.
True or False?
Human beings are multicellular organisms.
• Cells that have similar form and
characteristics, form tissues that are
specialized in carrying out certain
– E.g Covering tissues, supporting tissues,
storing tissues, muscle tissue etc.
• Tissues join to form organs. Each organ
carries out a specific function in the
organism. For example, the heart pumps
• A collection of organs that carry out
related functions make up a system.
– e.g Digestive system:
Can you name other systems?
• The collection of all organs and systems make up a
• The human being, like any living thing, carries out the 3
vital functions: Nutrition, interaction and reproduction.
The body parts implicated in these functions are:
Male reproductive system
Female reproductive system