The Nightmare Before Christmas The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Origin ofHalloweenJack-o-lantern Treat or Trick Various Costumes
Halloween is on October 31st, the last day of theCeltic calendar.It was originally a pagan holiday, honoring thedead.Halloween was referred to as All Hallows Eve anddates back to over 2000 years ago.
• Halloween culture can be traced back to the Druids( 德鲁伊 教 ), a Celtic culture in Ireland, Britain and Northern Europe. Roots lay in the feast of Samhain, which was annually on October 31st to honor the dead.• Samhain signifies "summers end" or November.• The Celts believed the souls of the dead roamed the streets and villages at night.
• One story about Jack, an Irishman, who was not allowed into Heaven because he was stingywith his money. So he was sent to hell. But down there he played tricks on the Devil (Satan), so he was kicked out of Hell and made to walk the earth forever carrying a lantern.
• The Irish name for these lanterns was "Jack with the lantern" or "Jack of the lantern," abbreviated as " Jack-o-lantern" and now spelled "jack-o-lantern."
• is a customary celebration for children on Halloween. The word "trick" refers to a "threat" to perform mischief on the homeowners or their property if no treat is given.In this custom the child performs some sort of trick.
• the Middle Ages• North America in the 19th century• the term "trick or treat" appears in 1927• postcards produced between the turn of the 20th century and the 1920s
Two revelers dressed infinancial themed costumesmarches in the annualGreenwich VillageHalloween Parade in NewYork, October31, 2008.
Revelers march in the annualGreenwich Village HalloweenParade in New York,October 31, 2008.
Martha Stewart (L), dressed as Medusa, and actress Blake Lively, dressed as Cleopatra, prepare pumpkin-shaped chocolate marble cake during a special Halloween edition of The Martha Stewart Show telecast on October 31, 2008.A contestant who is participatingas a Mummy poses before thestart of a Halloween costumecontest inside an amusement parkin Manila October 31.
A boy dressed in Halloween costumeplays with a phone before a contest duringa trick or treat event in a mall in QuezonCity, Metro Manila October 26, 2008. Participants dress up in costume at the West Hollywood Halloween Costume Carnival in West Hollywood, California on October 31, 2008.
U.S. Democratic presidentialnominee Senator BarackObama (D-IL) steps off hiscampaign plane carrying aHalloween pumpkin, atChicago Midway Airport,October 31, 2008.