For selecting distance education media and technology
• How accessible is a particular technology for learners?
• Learners can access to web 2.0 at anytime from anywhere if they have internet connection.
So the accessibility to it depends on the internet connection , without it learners cannot
access web 2.0.
• How flexible is it for a particular target group?
• It is very flexible, because we can access to it from anywhere .Teachers can use it to meet
particular needs of their target group. Because it is designed for specific purpose.
• What is the cost structure of each technology?
• Web 2.0 structure is almost free. But we have to consider the cost of internet connection
because it depends on it.
• What is the unit cost per student?
• If we are using wireless for all computers on the classroom or school, the number of student
doesn’t matter, because all of them can access to it. But if we are using internet connection
per computers ( ex: Hiak or Nwras modem) that will cost for each student depends on the
cost of each modem. (25-60 RO per modem).
• What are the opportunity costs vs. other technology choices?
• It is very effective in term of cost, especially for DE learner. Because DE depends on the
internet as a tool to promote the interaction in DE community. So students they already
have computers and internet connection. That means it is mostly free of cost for them.
Teaching and Learning
• What kinds of learning are needed?
• Using internet as a tool to exchange knowledge, ideas experience and searching for
information and other learning activities. Also DE students need to enhance or mastered the
communication skills that enable them to interact with each other, tutors or instructors and
with the content.
• What instructional approaches will best meet these needs?
• First provide learners with some guidelines about how to use internet. Provide them with
some information about web 2.0 applications. Let learners have a chance to discover the
internet and web 2.0 applications by giving them appropriate period of time until they
become familiar with them. Then let them do some activities that enhance their
communication with each other.
• What are the best technologies for supporting teaching and learning in this environment?
• Using web2.0 applications that are appropriate or fit with learning goals and objectives.
Like: YouTube, blogs, Facebook, MySpace….
• Can the content be adapted to the technology?
• Content can be easily adapted to the web 2.0 according to the target learners and goals
because web 2.0 is very flexible and easy of use.
• What skills does the technology develop?
• It develop creativity skills because learners can share create the content and ideas. Also
learners can develop their communication skills through the interaction with each other.
Web 2.0 enhances learner’s Self responsibility and management skills. It can develop
other skills depend on the use and the target goals.
Interactivity and User-friendliness
• What kind of interaction does this technology enable?
• It enables both types of interaction ( synchronous and asynchronous)
• How easy is it to use and learn?
• The web 2.0 applications are mostly very easy to learn and use. Most users find them easily
and quickly to learn and use. They have guides that help the user to use and navigate
through the interface and the application itself. But the problem is that they are scattered or
located in different sites or so learners find some difficulties to get familiar with them and to
connect between them.
• What are the organizational requirements to provide stability and support?
• The institute should gather the sites of applications that will be used in a page to ease
students navigation and movement between the application (ex: Facebook, wiki, flicker ...)
• What are the barriers to using this technology successfully within the institution?
• Web 2.0 applications are scattered in different sites. So each application has to be dealt
• Some applications need registration and that need time. It is difficult for the teacher
especially if he is dealing with young learners.
• Each application has different features and as a users we are limited to specific features that
each application or site provide.
• Without internet connection all web 2.0 applications are useless.
• What changes need to be made within the organization to incorporate the technology?
• First the employees have to be move to digital’s culture. Everybody has to be familiar with
basic computer and internet skills. The instructional approach has to move to learner center,
because the learner will have more responsibility for his learning process. (but DE
organization already has the platform for all of these ).
• Choose the appropriate application that will help the organization to achieve its goals.
• How new is the technology?
• The term web 2.0 is closely associated with Tim O'Reilly because of the O'Reilly Media
Web 2.0 conference that was in held October 5-7, 2004 at the Hotel Nikko in San Francisco.
So it is new for most learners.
• What are its technical capabilities?
• With web 2.0 application users can interact easily with each other at anytime from
anywhere. It user friendly and almost free with simple interface. It provide user with many
features so that enhance and the communication and sharing knowledge and experiences for
example: Photos: Flickr (www.flickr.com), Video: Vimeo (www.vimeo.com) , Social
Bookmarking: Del.icio.us (del.icio.us),Newsreaders / RSS: Bloglines(www.bloglines.com) and
Chat/IM : Meebo (www.meebo.com).
• How quickly can courses be created and distributed with this technology?
• Web 2.0 applications enable everybody to read write and create the content. So we can quickly
collaborate in creating and designing courses and distribute them to anywhere around the world.
How much time will take that depends on the course material that will be produced. But in
comparison with other technology web 2.0 is very quickly and take less time.
• How quickly can materials be changed?
• It is very easily to edit and modify the material in web 2.0 application. Once you register
you can login from anywhere and edit or change the material rapidly.