Ali R. Jalali
Head of Anatomy @uOttawa
Social media and Wellness:
friends or foes?
By the end of this session attendees will be able to:
Describe how various social media tools (Facebook,
Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc) are used by
different generations to communicate.
Summarize the advantages and perils of these tools
for Physicians: in clinic, research, education
and personal wellness.
1. Make connections.
2. Avoid seeing crises as insurmountable problems.
3. Accept that change is a part of living.
4. Move toward your goals.
5. Take decisive actions.
6. Look for opportunities for self-discovery.
7. Nurture a positive view of yourself.
8. Keep things in perspective.
9. Maintain a hopeful outlook.
10. Take care of yourself
Resilience is the process of adapting well in the face of adversity,
trauma, tragedy, threats or signiﬁcant sources of stress.
10 ways to
4Education, Health Advocacy & Social Accountability
• Twitter is an online social networking and
• "Texting" of Internet.
• # A hashtag is used to mark keywords or
topics in a tweet.
• Conferences: #ICRE2017, #CCME18
Go Where the Students Are: A Comparison of the Use of Social Networking Sites Between Medical Students and Medical Educators
Safaa El Bialy, Alireza Jalali
JMIR Medical Education 2015;1(2):e7 DOI: 10.2196/mededu.4908
Integrating Facebook into Basic Sciences Education: A Comparison of a Faculty-Administered Facebook Page and Group
Bialy SE, Jalali A, Jaffar AA.
Austin J Anat. 2014;1(3): 7.