Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Presentation of the Selected Technologies for Mix MSW Treatment Plants in Eastern Europe. A. Brazas, 2010

2,245 views

Published on

A Review on Mix MSW Treatment Options and Mechanical – Biological Treatment Technologies (Slide presentation in English). A. Brazas, November 2010.

Published in: Technology, Business
  • Be the first to comment

Presentation of the Selected Technologies for Mix MSW Treatment Plants in Eastern Europe. A. Brazas, 2010

  1. 1. 1 ForBelarus,Ukraine,Russia, KazakhstanandotherCIScountries 2010 Presentationof theSelectedTechnologies forMixMSWTreatment There it is Presented the Three Selected Technologies for Mix Municipal Solid Waste Treatment at Mechanical – Biological or Biological – Mechanical Treatment Plants EcoForce Baltic Ltd P.Lukšio g. 7 LT- 08221 Vilnius, Lithuania Tel./fax. +370 5 21 02 178 Mobil. tel. +370 687 76633 El. paštas ecoforce@zebra.lt
  2. 2. 22 EcoForce Baltic Ltd Atlieku tvarkymo konsultantai, UAB Biastra plius, UAB ©Copyright, Alfonsas Brazas, 2010
  3. 3. 3
  4. 4. 4 Composition of Municipal Wastes in West Europe
  5. 5. 5 Forecasted Composition of Municipal Wastes in Belarus Forecasted Composition of Solid Municipal Wastes Generated in Belarus: • Organic wastes - food/kitchen wastes (~40 %) + green wastes (~4%) - total ~ 44% • Paper/cardboard wastes ~ 15% • Plastics wastes ~ 10% • Glass wastes~ 7% • Metal wastes (Fe and Non-Fe)~ 4% • Other combustible wastes (wood, textiles, rubble and etc.) ~ 5% • Other non-combustible (inert wastes –sand, gravel, stones, ceramics and etc.) ~15%
  6. 6. 6 Municipal Solid Waste Processing Options
  7. 7. 7 Composting of Individual Houses Biowastes Composting Bins
  8. 8. 8 Separate collection • Separate collection is a key element of modern waste management • Separately should be collected (as much as possible): – Dry recyclables (paper/cardboard, plastics, glass, metals) – Biowastes - green wastes and kitchen/food wastes – Hazardous household wastes – EEEW – electric and electronic equipment wastes – Bulky wastes (including used tyres) – Construction and demolition wastes • Separately collected wastes usually are finally sorted at Materials Recovery Facility (MRF). MRF have installed manual or mechanical sorting lines. • Separatelly collected putrescibles (organic biowastes) usually are anaerobicaly digested producing biogas and composting digestate or only composted - finally producing high quality compost.
  9. 9. 9 Remaining (after separate collection) mix MSW treatment • Experience show that it is possible and economically feasible to collect separately up to 40% of generated amount of municipal wastes. • Remaining mix MSW > 60% and more (usually ~70%) – should be incinerated (after mechanical pre-treatment or without it) or treated mechanically – biologically (separating inert materials, recyclables, dry calorific fraction (further producing RDF – refuse delivered fuel) and organic fraction (further bio- drying or composting or anaerobically digesting it).
  10. 10. 10 Composition of remaining (after separate collection of recyclables) mix MSW • The average percentage of recyclables (paper/cardboard, plastics, glass, metals) in mix MSW is about 35 % • Implementing intensive separate collection schemes usually there are collected about ½ (a half) of recyclables generated • Forecasted composition of mix MSW after implementing of intensive separate collection schemes for recyclables: – Organic wastes - food/kitchen wastes (~45 %) + green wastes (~5%) - total ~ 50% – Paper/cardboard wastes <10% – Plastics wastes <6% – Glass wastes <4% – Metal wastes (Fe and Non-Fe) <3% – Other combustible wastes (wood, textiles, rubble and etc.) ~ 9% – Other non-combustible (inert wastes –sand, gravel, stones, ceramics and etc.) ~18%
  11. 11. 11
  12. 12. 12
  13. 13. 13 Mechanical – Biological Treatment Options
  14. 14. 14
  15. 15. 15 BMT- Biological Mechanical Treatment or MBT –Mechanical Biological Treatment
  16. 16. 16 35% - Separate Collection and Treatment 65% - Biological (Bio-drying) – Mechanical Treatment (BMT)
  17. 17. 17 BMT- Biological Mechanical Treatment
  18. 18. 18 1st Selected Technology – BMT (Biological – Mechanical Treatment) Bio-drying + Manual/Mechanical/Automatic Sorting
  19. 19. 19 1st Selected Technology - BMT Bio-drying + Manual/Mechanical/Automatic Sorting • Companies – technology suppliers: – Lehmann Machinenbau GmbH – Wright Tech Systems Inc. – Ecodeco S.r.l. – Kelog Umwelttechnik GmbH & Co KG – Herhof GmbH – Masias Recycling SL – EuRec Technology GmbH – Other?
  20. 20. 20 1st Selected Technology LEHMANN Maschinenbau GmbH BMT plant
  21. 21. 21 LEHMANN Maschinenbau GmbH BMT plantLEHMANN Maschinenbau GmbH BMT plant for 65 000 tones/year
  22. 22. 22 LEHMANN Maschinenbau GmbH BMT plant for 65 000 tones/year
  23. 23. 23 LEHMANN Maschinenbau GmbH BMT plants This is the cheapest mix municipal solid waste treatment option. For example, BMT plant capable to treat ~ 65 000 tones of MSW per year, with manual sorting line will cost < 4 million Euro. BMT with mechanical-automatic sorting line, working in 2 shifts and capable to treat 100÷130 thousand tones of MSW per year will cost < 10 million Euro. “Gate fee” would be about 30÷40 Euro/tone, to be subject to market prices fluctuations for RDF/SRF and recyclables. Remark: RDF – Refuse Derived Fuel SRF – Solid Recovered Fuel LEHMANN Maschinenbau GmbH BMT plants variations
  24. 24. 24 1st Selected Technology – Option MBT (Mechanical - Biological Treatment) Mechanical separation/sorting + Bio-drying +
  25. 25. 25 Mechanical – Biological (Bio-drying) – Mechanical Treatment
  26. 26. 26
  27. 27. 27 35% - Separate Collection and Treatment 65% - Mechanical - Biological Treatment (MBT)
  28. 28. 28 2nd Selected Technology – MBT Mechanical + Biological (Dry Anaerobic Digestion) Treatment
  29. 29. 29 Mechanical separation + manual/mechanical/automatic sorting • Companies – technology lines/equipment suppliers: – Eggersman Anlagenbau GmbH – MF Emmen B.V. – HORSTMANN budowa Urzadzen i Technika Ekologiczna Sp. zo.o. – SUTCO (Sutco – Polska Sp. Zo.o, company of Ludden & Mennekes group) – Vecoplan Maschinenfabrik GmbH & Co. KG – AMB Anlagen Maschinen Bau GmbH – Bollegraaf Recycling Machinery B.V. – MASIAS recycling SL – Komptech GmbH – Promeco S.r.l. – EuRec Technology GmbH – Lindner- Recyclingtech GmbH – And a number of others
  30. 30. 30 Mechanical separation + manual/mechanical/automatic sorting • Companies – shredders suppliers: – M&J Industries A/S (company of Metso Group) – UNTHA – Anton Unterwurzacher Maschinenbau GmbH – Vecoplan Maschinenfabrik GmbH & Co. KG – Lindner- Recyclingtech GmbH – Komptech GmbH – A number of others
  31. 31. 31 Mechanical separation + manual/mechanical/automatic sorting • Companies – balistic separators suppliers: – KOMPTECH GmbH – LINDNER – Recyclingtech GmbH – MASIAS recycling SL – IFE Aufbereiungstechnik GmbH – Hartner Maschinenbau GmbH • Companies – wind shifters suppliers: – NIHOT Recycling Technology B.V. – Komptech GmbH – SUTKO- Polska Sp.zo.o
  32. 32. 32 Mechanical separation + manual/mechanical/automatic sorting • Companies Fe-metals Magnets and Non-Fe-metals Edy Currents Suppliers: – STEINERT Elektromagnetbau GmbH – IFE Aufbereiungstechnik GmbH – A number of others • Companies Optical (sensor based) Sorting and Separation Systems Suppliers: – RTT Systemtechnik GmbH – TiTech AS – S+S Separating and Sorting Technology GmbH – Exsor EMCAM Sorting Technologies – Steinert Elektromagnetbau GmbH
  33. 33. 33 2nd Selected Technology – MBT Biological Treatment - Dry Anaerobic Digestion • The Key Technology in MBT scheme is Dry Anaerobic Digestion Technology. • There are listed the companies – Dry AD technology suppliers: – KOMPOFerm (Eggersmann Anlagenbau GmbH) – AIKAN (Solum Group) – BEKON Holding AG – BIOFerm GmbH (Viessman Group) – LOOCK Biogassysteme GmbH – BAL Biogasanlagenbau Langenau GmbH
  34. 34. 34
  35. 35. 35
  36. 36. 36
  37. 37. 37
  38. 38. 38
  39. 39. 39
  40. 40. 40
  41. 41. 41
  42. 42. 42 2nd Selected Technology – MBT (Mechanical Biological Treatment) Biological Treatment = Dry Anaerobic Digestion + Bio-drying • Shredding + Mechanical Separation + Mechanical/Automatic Sorting of Dry Fraction • Dry Anaerobic Digestion of Organic Fraction • Bio-drying of Digestate
  43. 43. 43
  44. 44. 44 2nd Selected Technology – MBT (Mechanical Biological Treatment) Biological Treatment = Dry Anaerobic Digestion + Bio-drying Selected companies • Mechanical separation/sorting: – Eggersman Anlagenbau GmbH – MF Emmen B.V. – HORSTMANN budowa Urzadzen i Technika Ekologiczna Sp. zo.o. – SUTCO (Sutco – Polska Sp. Zo.o, company of Ludden & Mennekes group) • Dry anaerobic digestion: – KOMPOFerm (Eggersmann Anlagenbau GmbH) – AIKAN (Solum Group) – BIOFerm GmbH (Viessman Group) – BEKON Holding AG • Bio-drying: – Lehmann Machinenbau GmbH – Wright Tech Systems Inc. – Ecodeco S.r.l.
  45. 45. 45 2nd Selected Technology – MBT (Mechanical Biological Treatment) Biological Treatment = Dry Anaerobic Digestion + Bio-drying This is quit cheap and most perspective mix municipal solid waste treatment option. Mechanical-automatic sorting line, working in 2 shifts and capable to treat 100÷150 thousand tones of MSW per year will cost ~ 5÷7 million Euro. Dry anaerobic digestion plant capable to treat 50÷60 thousand tones of organic waste will cost ~ 6÷8 million Euro. Bio-drying plant capable to treat 45÷60 thousand tones of digestate will cost ~ 3 million Euro. Fully completed MBT plant capable to treat ~125 thousand tones of mix MSW per year will cost 12÷15 million Euro. “Gate fee” would be about 40÷50 Euro/tone, to be subject to market prices fluctuations for RDF/SRF and recyclables.
  46. 46. 46 3rd Selected Technology – MBT (Mechanical Biological Treatment) Biological Treatment = Wet Anaerobic Digestion + Bio-drying
  47. 47. 47 3rd Selected Technology – MBT (Mechanical Biological Treatment) Biological Treatment = Wet Anaerobic Digestion + Bio-drying • Mechanical separation and sorting technologies/equipment suppliers – the same as for previous technology • Wet anaerobical digestion technologies and equipment suppliers: – Wehrle Umwelt GmbH – Global Renewables UK Ltd – BTA International GmbH – Promeco S.r.l. – Strabag SE – Ros Roca International SL – Haase Energietechnik AG – Valorga International S.A.S. – Purac (Lackeby Water Group) – Arrow Ecology and Engineering Overseas Ltd – SchuBio AG
  48. 48. 48 3rd Selected Technology – MBT Option with Biopercolator Biological Treatment = Wet Anaerobic Digestion + Bio-drying • There are only 2 companies supplying MBT technology with Biopercolation process and wet anaerobical digestion of slurry produced during biopercolation process: – Wehrle Umwelt GmbH – Global Renewables UK Ltd We recommend Wehrle Umwelt GmbH which is better known for us.
  49. 49. 49
  50. 50. 50
  51. 51. 51 Biopercolators Inside and Outside
  52. 52. 52 3rd Selected Technology – MBT Option with Biopercolator Biological Treatment = Wet Anaerobic Digestion + Bio-drying • Unfortunately the investment either operational/maintenance cost are too high: – Investment cost for fully completed mechanical – biological treatment plant capabile to treat > 100 thousand tones of mix MSW per year are 30÷40 million Euro For comparision, similar MBT plant with dry anaerobic digestion will cost only 12÷15 million Euro. – Operational cost are > 50 Euro/tone
  53. 53. 53 3rd Selected Technology – MBT Option with Hydro-pulper Biological Treatment = Wet Anaerobic Digestion + Bio-drying • There are a number of companies supplying MBT technology with Hydropulping process and wet anaerobical digestion of slurry produced during hydropulping process: – BTA International GmbH – Promeco S.r.l. – Strabag SE – Ros Roca International SL – Haase Energietechnik AG – Valorga International S.A.S. – Arrow Ecology and Engineering Overseas Ltd – SchuBio AG We recommend BTA International GmbH which is the best known wet anaerobical digestion technology supplier in the world.
  54. 54. 54
  55. 55. 55
  56. 56. 56 BTA Hydro-pulper and grit removal
  57. 57. 57 3rd Selected Technology – MBT Option with Hydro-pulper Biological Treatment = Wet Anaerobic Digestion + Bio-drying • Unfortunately the investment either operational/maintenance cost are too high: – Investment cost only for wet anaerobic digestion plant capable to treat 40÷50 thousand tones of organic waste per year is 15÷20 million Euro. – Fully completed mechanical – biological treatment plant capabile to treat > 100 thousand tones of mix MSW per year cost 25÷30 million Euro For comparision, similar MBT plant with dry anaerobic digestion will cost only 12÷15 million Euro. – Operational cost are > 50÷75 Euro/tone
  58. 58. 58 SUMMARY • The BMT (biological – mechanical treatment) or MBT (mechanical – biological treatment) technology with bio- drying process targeted to produce fuel (SRF/RDF) is the cheapest one (both investment and operational). The bio-drying process can be replaced by composting process only in the case if organic fraction isn’t very poluted by heavy metals (if the potential quality of compost is satisfactory) • The MBT (mechanical – biological treatment) technology with dry AD and digestate bio-drying is the most optimal and perspective (higher energy cost – lower gate fee) • The MBT (mechanical – biological treatment) technology both with bio-percolation process or hydro-pulping process is too expensive (it can be used only if energy prices are very high)
  59. 59. 59 MeWa Recycling Anlagen GmbH Bio-QZ equipment increasing biogas yield
  60. 60. 60 MeWa Recycling Anlagen GmbH Bio-QZ equipment increasing biogas yield
  61. 61. 61 Composting of Biowastes Composting Technologies: – Composting Bins (for Individual Houses) – Open Windrows – Aerated Windrows with Gore Membrane – LDPE AG-Bag Eco-PAD – Composting Containers (EnviCont, SV Composter, Kneer- Horstmann, Clarocompost, Hot Rot, Rocket, BioCoTech, Biosal and others) – Vertical In-vessel Composting Units – Light Constructions Composting Tunnels (Biodegma type) – Composting Tunnels – Composting channels and baths (basins)
  62. 62. 62 Open Windrows, Aerated Windrows covered by Gore Membrane and LDPE AG-Bag Eco-PAD
  63. 63. 63 Composting Containers
  64. 64. 64 Vertical In-vessel Units
  65. 65. 65 Composting Tunnels Germs Spores Aerationpipes with ventilation Odours Water vapour Semi-permeable laminate Organic material
  66. 66. 66 Composting basins (baths)

×