Lo strumento SocialTrekking per la promozione territoriale #smartrural
Walk on the “rural” side: the social trekking tourism as
opportunity to promote territorial sustainability and
resilient rural development
Sonia Trampetti, Sara Di Lonardo, Valentina Grasso, Daniele Vergari, Francesca
Camilli and Alfonso Crisci
Responsible tourism & ecotourism:
social trekking create territorial development
opportunities for rural areas?
is a buzz word describing people walking on prefixed
tracks planned by tour operators.
is a movement on rise today.
is responsible form of tourism because of its social
commitment and environmental component linking it to
sustainable tourism and ecotourism
The core of investigation
Social trekkers are territorial watchers and a voice-overs.
Are they a real informative channel for rural area?
Aims of the research
1.To understand if osn analysis related to social trekkers can elicit
information useful for promoting rural areas social trekkers pass
1.To determine the main identity and communication features of
“To begin... it is better not to wonder why one starts
trekking. There may not be a reason. But just the
answer to a natural need”.
Giancarlo Cotta Ramusino, “Camminatori”
• Explorative survey, based on an anonymous self-completion
• questionnaire submitted by mean of Google Form Web Services.
• Dissemination was done throughout a Google Gmail form and posting link
on Twitter and Facebook (OSN Online Social Networks) to reach
on line communities of Italian trekkers .
1. IDENTITY: age, gender, job, educational qualification and
2. MOTIVATION AND EXPERIENCE: main motivations, perceptions
and participation across the rural world by walking
3. TRAVEL PLANNING: main trekkers informative channels
4. MOBILE SKILLS: technology for personal communication
throughout ICT mobile devices
5. OSN ENGAGEMENT: the role of social media before, during or
after the travel, WEB, 2.0 platforms used
Tourist's social stream analisys on
FB page & contents analisys
Fan Page Facebook Name
Io viaggio Slow
Camminando Sulla Via Francigena
il Movimento Lento
Associazione Europea Vie
Walden Viaggi a piedi
Social trekker is often a community
user in online social networks.
Io viaggio Slow
il Movimento Lento
Walden Viaggi a
Modeling social media touristic
engagement...the web EFFICACY
For trekkers but not only!
• Engagement is a time dynamic parameter to evaluate if a OSN community is responsive
to post actions by channel’s owner
• It designs the style of users and their preferences in regard to style Page management.
• It is defined in Facebook framework as a rate:
• Thanks to FB Graph Api, a webservice given by platform, it is possible to retrieve the
full post stream of page inabling to produce a time summary of the users actions.
• This work is carried out on 10 Fb page where trekking is the core.
• On the comprehensive montly summaries 3 statistical hypothesis are tested. Briefly
which are the tipologies of post linked to the actions (share,comments, like)
• Posts are categorized by content in status (text) ,video, link , photo and posts having a
Applied geo-semantics for a territorial
fingerprint of tourist web communities
Thanks to Natural language processing it is possible to investigate the textual OSN contents.
R stat tm packages (text mining) is a good tool to process OSM corpora extracting :
The Main textual features of the text investigated.
1 The list of unique words and their occurence.
2 A semantic approach is possibile classifying the words
previously extracted by specific ontology class appartenance,
i.e: the geographical names in stream are identified by using webservice
Italian dbpedia (it.dbpedia.org.)
Generally the outputs are rendered as infographics:
to point OSN COMMUNITY IDENTITY
1.2 THEMATIC MAPS
occurence of most cited places by OSN COMMUNITY are displayed
results: middle age people practice social trekking driven for
Spatial distribution of interviewed
Social trekkers: experience and informative
Social trekkers channels by
Stream content analysis monthly engagements
LIKES are supported by
SHARES are supported by
COMMENTS are supported by
Engagement: photo for likes and video for sharing are winner
Analisys provided by GLM modeling on montly post summary on 10 FB Fan pages using R STAT
Semantic and Geo semantic on OSN textual corpora.
GeoWords follow most preferred user tracks: Via francigena.
IDENTITY by words is clearly
Social trekkers are communities developing internal cohesion
during the travel experience and maintaining that cohesion through
social networks after the event.
Online Social Networks (OSN) are the main tools (Travel 2.0
specialized websites) for tourists who would share comments,
evaluations, emotions throughout textual and multimedia contents
regarding their personal experience and the visited territories.
OSN engagements could be
Information extraction audit on
territory is possible throughout
Ready for the glass!