Parallels between witchcraft in Elizabethantimes and drug abuse/drug dealing today.
• Components of the Flower of Life have been a part of the work of Alchemists. I think alchemy represents a certain amount of greed. (trying to create gold out of lead, prolonging life). Drug trade and the market are based on greed for making money, ignoring consequences of others.
• Experimentation of drugs in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s (glamorised). 90’s- height of ‘up’ drugs and the beginning of change in drug use.
• Opium (ingredient to make heroin) gives people hallucinations.Prospero’s tricks played on other characters. ( in the tempest the drugs and the same as the hallucinations made by Ariel)
Films and music influenced bydrug use. Alice in wonderland Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix, 1967. Heroin by Velvet Underground, 1967. Jumpin Jack Flash by The Rolling Stones, 1968. Running to Stand Still by U2, 1987. Cocaine blues by Johnny Cash
Creating an experience for people to help understand drug abuse today.
• The tour would include life of drug users from the very start when the deal takes place, all the way to the consequences of choices made by each charactor.
• Audience watch the actors through hidden viewpoints as if spying on their lives and are getting a taste of what a real life drug experience might be like for people.( in the eyes of the drug addict victim).
Set in early evening so night falls as theplay unravels into a dark and terrifyingexample of some peoples reality.
• Effect on the charactors in the story include:• Troubles in relationships between charactors and how by choosing a life of drugs, friends and family are effected, and lives are destroyed.
• Prostitution larceny and further drug dealing - I want to show a variety of ways in which peoples lives have been dramatically effected. Desperation of characters to get cash to fuel their expensive addiction. ( vicious cycle)
• ..Hospitalisation or death. People don’t realise the full extent of drugs and effects on peoples lives. I want the audience to be shown the harsh reality of drug abuse. The audience could be taken, as part of the site specific tour to a hospital, following the story of a victim who looses the battle against their addiction.