Internet Censorship Debate
By Alex Bentley & Shaun Sykes
What Has started the debate
• In 2012 an bill first appeared into the U.S that
wanted full Internet censorship and to stop
• The Bills became known as SOPA (Stop Online
Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protection IP Act).
• The first stage was when the U.S government
brought down Pirate Bay an online movie and
music site which pirated and distributed to
millions of people.
• After Pirate Bay going down many people
were very angry seeing this as governments
taking control of the internet.
• Wikipedia along with 7,000 website joined in
with online black out protest, due to the
demands of the U.S government and some
Internet witch hunt
• On January 19, 2012 the site Mega upload in
Hong Kong was bought down and owners
arrested for copy right infringement.
• The online hacker group Anonymous attacked
back by shutting down the FBI, US state
department website along with entertainment
websites which supports the bills.
The Revenge of the Internet
• After Mega upload YouTube was next in the firing
line as hundreds of copyrighted music and films
were all over the site, however YouTube do have
admin who bring down illegal films from YouTube
if they are copyrighted.
• Google, Facebook and several other social
network site organised a petition to counter the
Bill world wide, as the Bill would have just
effected America but the whole world.
The protest and debates
• The online petitions got 7 million people to
sign it, along with online companies and social
• On the other side entertainment companies
supported the Bill because they lose money if
all their products are being pirated for free
• This is research I
have collected form
online websites, 12%
of people supported
with 88% against
Why is there so much Pirated films and
music on the internet
• Back before the internet each country had their own
laws with copyright, America has a very strong stance
with copyright due to Hollywood.
• Russia and Eastern Europe don't have copyright laws
and so people are free to steal and rip of other
peoples work without prosecution.
• The internet is one massive interaction
communication device where people can go and
upload videos from Russia to then be view in the
US. With no laws of any nation controlling the net
copyrighted materials start to pop up.
• The Bills was later changed so only American sites
operating only in America will be affected.
• Film sites like Watch2k have been brought down.
• The Bill was changed because it clashed with first
amendment freedom of speech. Even though
European nations like Poland introduced the Bill but
found out that it is impossible to control everything
on the internet.