Ten Questions about Mobile Learning http://tinyurl.com/sunymobile David Wicks Seattle Pacific University
Augmentation – Not Delivery“So mLearning is not aboutputting e-learning courseson a phone; you should notthink about mLearning asdelivery of courses.mLearning is aboutaugmenting ourlearning—and ourperformance. This includesa role in formal learningand, occasionally can be thedelivery mechanism for afull learning solution, but thereal opportunity isaugmenting learning andperformance, not learningdelivery.” Kindle Location 590) (Quinn, 2011,
4a. Where can (can’t) we make use of mobile learning?
4b. Where can we make use of mobile learning?accessing Capture of ability to CommunicateContent in the information Compute a with othersform of media response• Just-in-time • Capture • Formative and • Share course learning, evidence of summative information• Learn while competency assessment • Collaborate on waiting • QR codes • Note-taking projects• Replay leading to more • Concept • Create challenging content mapping portfolios concepts • Movies of • Share• Social reading student reflections performance
6. What does the research say? Learning activities supported through mobile tools (Laurillard, 2007)
7. How is m-learning being integrated into learning management systems?
8. How is it being integrated with social media?
9. What are the must-have mobile learning apps?accessing Capture of ability to CommunicateContent in the information Compute a with othersform of media response• YouTube Edu • Google • Google Forms • Twitter• iTunes U Goggles • Dragon • Texting• AudioBoo • DoubleTake • Other speech- • Skype• Kindle • iMovie to-text apps • WordPress• GhostReader • Flickr • NoteTaker HD • Wiki • Mindmapping apps
10. How can instructors and students be productive with mobileaccessing devices? ability to Capture of CommunicateContent in the information Compute a with othersform of media responseInstructors Instructors ask Instructors use Instructors learnprepare direct students to share speech-to-text how to text, tweet,instruction content video, audio, or and Google forms and blogin formats that text tips on how for assessment.can be consumed they are beingin chunks using productive withmobile devices mobile appsStudents take Students capture Students use Students learnadvantage of JIT evidence of mindmapping or how to sharelearning and competencies met notetaking documentedavailable time to software for learning throughlearn. classroom notes. digital portfolio
Comments or Questions? David Wicks Director, Instructional Technology Seattle Pacific University firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: dwicksspuThis work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Toview a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/ or send a letter toCreative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA. 16