facebook.com/groups/smcsfSocial Media Club of South FloridaEstablished September 2008- Over 2,500 members- Free monthly meetups average 100 participantsExpand media literacyShare lessons learnedAdopt industry standardsPromote ethical practices
- South Florida’s largest web community- Established March 2006- Over 2,500 members- Monthly meetups average 150 participantshttp://refreshmiami.orgRefreshMiami: new media community
- Web and new media “un”conference- Over 1,600 have attended ﬁve events- Next one: June 2013twitter.com/barcampmiami
First one in June 2012:16 presenters & 300 attendees
500 people joined for the conferenceand networking in May 2012
CrisisCamp Miami for HaitiHosted at the Miami HeraldOrganized in 5 days ● 100 peopleMapping ● People Finder ● NGO Identifier
Now, I’m just asocial mediauser ... and not aguru, expert, orswami!
But my friend Shashi is a social media swamiFollow @shashib on Twitter
1. More than one third of US population belongs to a minority group✤ 2008 US Census Bureau reported the minority population reached104.6 million - or 34% of the nations total population✤ Nearly one in six residents, or 46.9 million people, are Hispanic✤ Hispanics are the fastest-growing segment (or is it Asians?)Why should you care aboutreaching out to minorities?
2. An estimated spendingpower of over $2 trillionWhy should you care aboutreaching out to minorities?http://www.terry.uga.edu/selig/docs/GBEC0903q.pdf
3. It’s the futureWhy should youcare about reachingout to minorities?
● white● black● Hispanic● Asian● otheraccording to 2010 CensusBlack people mainly in northern inner city (LittleHaiti and Wynwood), Hispanics in the south (LittleHavana, West Miami, Coral Way) and west(Brownsville), Whites in the north and east(Aventura, North Miami Beach, Miami Beach)Miami: highly segregated
Where are minorities online?Pew Research, 2012:✤ Twitter Black (26%),followed by Hispanic (18%)and White (11%).✤ Pinterest White (18%), Black(8% ) and Hispanic 10%✤ Instagram Black (23%),Hispanic (18%) and White(11%)✤ Tumblr Hispanic (8%) ofusers, followed by White(6%) and Black (5%)✤ Facebook Race/ethnicitywas not studied
Social media opens the door for ...✤ Increased name recognition✤ Maintaining relationships with current constituents✤ Connecting with new constituents✤ Sharing your impact✤ Establishing your authority on a topic
Engaging your multicultural constituents✤ Include multicultural in your larger outreach strategy✤ Research your audience✤ Test your assumptions✤ Engage beyond just language, culture, cuisine✤ Celebrate culture and the differences✤ No stereotyping!✤ Find an emotional connection✤ Find and work the networks
Simple yet essential questions✤ How will this visual treatment look when consumedthrough a multicultural lens?✤ Was the core brand essence and symbolism carried overcorrectly when we translated into another language?✤ Did we minimize or miss out on a cultural celebration/milestone that would help us speak to our multiculturalconsumer on their terms?http://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/2013/02/08/5-tips-to-refresh-your-multicultural-marketing-strategy-in-2013/
Creating Content & Connecting(ie.,developing the social object)✤ Find your core and connect through your passions✤ Ask people big questions, challenge them to think big✤ Open the side door: “The Making Of” & “B-Roll”✤ It’s about your constituents, not you: provide support✤ People love a good story✤ Use outside voices: videos and interviews✤ Be real and be yourself: share your own challenges and opportunities
Typical metrics✤ Number of new donors✤ Number of repeat donors✤ Overall fundraising✤ Number of new volunteers✤ Number of repeat volunteers✤ Total number of volunteer hours
New donorsNew volunteersCollaboration opportunitiesIncreased name recognitionRepeat givingOverall fundraisingRepeat volunteersMaintaining relationshipswith current constituentsNew donorsNew volunteersCollaboration opportunitiesConnecting with new constituentsNew donorsReduced donor attritionOverall fundraisingNew volunteersRepeat volunteersSharing your impactImpact of social media strategiesCollaboration opportunitiesNew donorsEstablishing your authority on a topichttp://www.wiredimpact.com/library/nonproﬁt-social-media-deﬁning-success/
• Audit of current state• Competitive landscape• Listening & monitoring• Planning• Roadmap• Resources• Policies• Processes• Community management• Content marketing• Outreach & engagement• Marketing & comms support• Media buys• Metrics• Analysis• OptimizationGoalsResearchStrategyImplementationMeasurementFramework for implementation
... Are you listening?What are people discussing?Who’s doing the talking?Is the content accurate?What are they passionate about?Can you identify relationships and communities?Are they meeting up in the real world?
Establish outposts on social networksThink of it this way. If you are a ﬁsherman you wouldnot ﬁsh for the trophy catch in stagnated water.You would need to go to where there is fresh water.Thats where the ﬁsh are.
Credit: David ArmanoQuality becomes quantity: stuff gets shared between networks
We can leverage social media to buildreal bridges between communities, by:✤ Engaging people around topics of interest and encouraging them tocollaborate and to develop communities✤ Empowering people to use technologies to assist in improving theirlives✤ Open sharing of experiences, information and knowledge✤ Developing cultures of transparency, inclusiveness, and innovation✤ Localisation; local content creation, local resource distribution, localawareness development, local knowledge transfer, local solutiondevelopment
Photo Credits - Creative Commons✦ Swami http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/boskizzi/12103933/✦ dinner conversation http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/88543347@N00/80462964/✦ hungry ﬁsh http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/75269757@N00/727422407✦ seti http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/49457106@N00/280789933/✦ attention http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/69148125@N00/326386880/✦ community manager http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/celesteh/397931208/✦ india water http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/t4deux/3442829950/✦ pickup game - basketball http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/robinzeggs/141674593✦ jellybeans http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/jspad/450848498/✦ Any omissions in attribution are unintentional and will be ﬁxed if and when they’re pointed out
Alex de Carvalho ● @alexdc ● firstname.lastname@example.orgEffective Multicultural Communicationsin Social Media 3CMA - 3 May 2013