Vocabulary # 8 Extra Credit PowerPoint by Alec Levin Period 3
1. AloofRemoved or distant either physically or emotionallySeeing as how the boy had been homeschooled hiswhole life, he was a bit aloof on his first day of highschool.
2. Apprehensive Anxious or fearful that something bad or unpleasant will happen I was a bit apprehensive about taking honors classes due to their difficulty.
3. Averted To turn away in avoidance I averted eye contact with my teacher since I did not complete my homework.
4. Subsided To become less intense, to calm I got a chance to speak after my boss subsided and stopped yelling.
5. ContemptuouslyExpressing deep hatred or disapprovalI am speak quite contemptuously of OaklandAthletic fans since I am a San Francisco Giants fan.
6. Aesthetic Concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty A am a aesthetic person in my love for fine art.
7. Amicable Having a spirit of kindness The woman was handing out samples in an amicable, kind fashion.
8. Benevolent Well meaning, kindly Charles wrote a benevolent letter alerting the mayor of the recent troubles in his neighborhood. Lennie from John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men
9. Brazen Bold and shameless Johnny’s spoke brazen words against his president in hope for new, radical change. Mark Antony speaking brazenly of the conspirators in William Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar
10. CapaciousSpacious, roomy, having a large capacityFrom the outside, the house looked small and sad,but inside it was beautiful and capacious.
11. Emulate To match or excel ones doings I emulated my sister and tried to get good grades.
12. Enervating To act or cause one to be exhausted The lecture I was receiving seemed never ending, it was so boring and enervating.
13. Fortitude Having strength, mentally or physically, while facing difficult decisions (synonym of intrepid) She has gone through much pain in her life and still manages to keep her head up with great fortitude.
14. ImpetuousImpulsively done without thinkingMy impetuous decision to skip homework led to mefailing the test. Items next to the register often lead to impetuous buys
15. Intrepid Enduring in a fearless manner (synonym of fortitude) The intrepid family kept running to higher grounds to out run the flood.