Departamento de Educación Física
IES Estelas de CantabriaAlberto García Huerta
year 2009 - 2010
HIKING:” To go for a
walk in the mountains or
in nature”.The main
objetive is to follow a
path or a trail.
You can enjoy listening
to the silence or the
sound of the water,
seeing the landscape…
THE PATH AND ITS SIGNPOSTING
A path must go
across the valley,
looking for the best
way and visiting
about their culture,
KIND OF PATHS
DEPENDING ON THE LENGTH:
Long-distance routes (LD)
They run for more than 40 Km.
They are sign-posted with red and white signs
Short-distance routes (SD)
They are from 10 to 40 km. Long.
They are sign-posted with yellow and white signs
No more than 10 km.
They are sign-posted with green and white signs.
They are routes in the city.
They are sign-posted with red and yellow signs.
EQUIPMENT – SHOES
Boots are the most important part of the
We must walk on grounds, different from
our streets or roads, with stones,
branches, water or animals.
they should provide adequate protection
against possible sprains, knocks and
The boots must protect your ankle.
The sole must have a good marked
Their laces must be perfectly tied.
Don´t wear your boots for the first time
on a hike. You must first try them on
EQUIPMENT – SHOES
• Tie the laces from the botton to the top.
• Check them in a few minutes when your feet have expanded.
• You can wear the laces looser when you go up but very well-tied when
you go down.
• Your clothes must be lightweight and permit air flow.
• If there is a lot of vegetation , especially thicket ,you must protect your arms and
• In the mountain the weather changes quickly so you must wear some clothes to
keep you warm.
• The backpack increases the effort
we need to walk.
• We feel its weight on our legs and
on our back to. its size must be
appropiate to your back.
• You must regulate to put the most
of the weight on your hips.
• Generally, try to put big and light things in the botton and the heviest in the top,
near your back. Then its centre of gravity will be between your shoulders
• Put the load in a symmetrical way (left and right) for not to overload one side of
• Don´t put any thing failed (water botle, shoes…) they can unbalance you
because of their movement or they can catch on somewhere, specially
They are not necessary but they can help
you to keep balanced
• You can make it yourself.
• Only one is sufficent.
• If you have a knee pain they can be
BASIC RULES OF BEHAVIOUR IN THE
• Avoid making any unnecessary noise
• A photograph is much better than taking the photographed object away with
you (flowers, insects, fossils, etc.)
• Avoid littering and take along rubbish bags instead
• Make sure that the inhabitants of the rural district you are visiting do not
regret your presence:
Close gates after you
Do not trespass on private property
If you have a dog keep it away from the cattle