Why Your Voice
The Rio Grande Valley Disrupts
Social Media Boot
Camp - McAllen, Tex
Aug 14, 2010
• PR guy for 25 years
• Social Media for the last 5 years
• Blogger with.... 4 blogs
• Story Teller
• Content producer
I eat my own dog food
• working directly clients
• working with Agencies
• I am my own client
• I’m on Twitter, FaceBook, LinkedIn, etc.
The #140conf events provide a platform for
the worldwide twitter community to: listen,
connect, share and engage with each other,
while collectively exploring the effects of the
emerging real-time internet on business.
Celebs, Media Personalities, Business
and Gov’t Leaders, the Homeless,
Ex-Cons, School Children, Educators,
Writers, Musicians, etc
NY, LA, London, Tel Aviv,
Barcelona, Austin, NY (take
II), SFO,Boston Detroit and
Words of Wisdom from Becky....
1. People in small towns have access to the same technology,
the same real time tools, that people in big cities do.
2. Most small towns in the US have broadband access, though
many rural areas still are stuck on dial up.
3. And rural people worldwide are creative, using mobile web
access and smart phones to access Twitter and all the real time
tools you're used to.
4. The State of Now is reshaping small towns just as much as
it’s reshaping big cities.
5. Real time connections through Twitter and other services
have given small town people new ways to interact and share
6. Through the live stream you can be involved in the world of
the discussion, real time to watch, connect and engage.
How does RGV Disrupt?
• Reﬂects the future demographic of our
• Great place to live
• Texas Coast & Beach
• borders with Mexico
How does RGV Disrupt?
• No more than one hour away to get to an
airport that will take you anywhere in
• Border Region in Texas / Mexico is
2,000,000 + people - larger than San
• The world is yours
• Your reach is world wide
• Find like minded people to connect with
• Leverage your location
• Your geo-location on the Texas / Mexico
border region creates a new type of
virtual trading community
• Monterrey, and not San Antonio is the
Big City.... with a population of 3.5
Copy of presentation
• online today: www.alanweinkrantz.com
• copy and share with others
• this is just what I believe and seems to
• your mileage may vary