Auto Expo 2014 Day 1: Highlights
The first day of 12th edition of the biggest Indian automotive convention concluded late last evening and saw
more than a dozen new models, unveilings, launches and quirky concepts being presented to the global
automotive media. As we gear up for yet another, action packed media day in New Delhi at the 2014 Auto Expo,
here’s a round-up of all the events and happenings from yesterday - incase, you missed out on our extensive and
exhaustive coverage of the biennial automotive convention
- Audi at the 2014 Auto Expo
- Audi A3 sedan revealed - Built on parent Volkswagen’s MQB platform, the smallest and most affordable model
in Audi’s range is being termed as the ‘next big Audi for India’.
- Audi A3 Cabriolet revealed - the two door, four seater version of the A3 sedan; To be launched soon.
- BMW at the 2014 Auto Expo
- Sachin Tendulkar unveiled the much awaited BMW i8 Hybrid car.
- BMW 3-Series GT launched in India at Rs 42.75 lakh (All India ex-showroom); Deliveries will begin in March
- Chevrolet at the 2014 Auto Expo
- 2014 Chevrolet Beat Facelift launched in India at a starting price of Rs 4.06 lakh; Gets minor styling and feature
- Chevrolet Adra Compact SUV Concept revealed; Based on the Gamma 2 platform, the Adra Concept has been
developed by Indian designers and engineers - the production version of which will be sold in emerging markets.
- Datsun at the 2014 Auto Expo
- Datsun redi-go Crossover Concept revealed; The small crossover concept made its global debut in India and is
the first Concept car from Nissan's sub brand, since it was ressurected back in 2012.
- Fiat at the 2014 Auto Expo
- Fiat Punto Avventura revealed; The crossover version of company’s flagship Punto is expected to debut before
the end of 2014 and will rival the Ford EcoSport and the Renault Duster SUV.
- Ford at the 2014 Auto Expo
- 2014 Ford Fiesta sedan unveiled; Based on the European model and featuring Kinetic design Ford Face, the new
Fiesta is expected to launch in India before the end of 2014.
- Hyundai at the 2014 Auto Expo
- 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe launched in India at Rs 26.3 lakh (ex-showroom, New Delhi); Fuel efficiency figures stand
at 14.74 kmpl and 13.01 kmpl for the manual and automatic variants respectively.
- Hyundai Xcent sedan revealed; The Grand i10 based sedan is in line with company’s Fluidic design philosophy
and is expected to debut in India in the coming few months.
- Honda at the 2014 Auto Expo
- Honda Mobilio MPV made its debut in India; Will be offered in both petrol and diesel variants when the model
gets officially launched in the country, sometime in early 2015.
- 2014 Honda Jazz ; The third generation Jazz brings to the table styling and feature updates.
- Honda Vision XS-1 Concept made its global debut in India; Based on Honda’s MM (Man Maximum Machine
Minimum) philosophy, the Crossover Concept previews company’s upcoming and futuristic looking models.
- Isuzu Motors at the 2014 Auto Expo
- Isuzu D-Max Space Cab revealed; the extended version of the D-Max pick-up offers an additional 1.5 feet of
space than the regular model.
- Isuzu MU-7 SUV displayed; The seven seater MU-7 SUV retails in India at Rs 23.75 lakh (ex-showroom,
- Jaguar at the 2014 Auto Expo
- Jaguar F-Type Coupe launched in India; Underpins the F-Type Roadster in terms of styling and features.
- Jaguar C-X17 SUV revealed; - the first SUV to come out of the British luxury car brand.
- Jaguar Project 7 Race Car unveiled; The one-off race car was created to be part of the 2013 Goodwood Festival
- Jaguar also announced the commencement of local production of the 3.0-litre diesel and the 2.0-litre petrol
version of the XJL.
-Land Rover at the 2014 Auto Expo
- Land Rover Range Rover Long Wheelbase launched in India; Will be offered with three engine options all of
which are mated to an 8-Speed automatic transmission.
- Range Rover Evoque with 9-Speed gearbox; Was first seen at the 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show.
- Mercedes Benz at the 2014 Auto Expo
- Mercedes Benz CLA 45 AMG unveiled; The company’s smallest AMG model will debut in India before the end of
- Production version of Mercedes Benz GLA presented; The GLA Crossover is expected to hit the market by the
end of 2014.
- Mercedes Benz ML 500 Guard launched in India at Rs 2.49 crore; The armoured SUV will be brought into the
country via the CBU route to cater to V.V.I.Ps in the country.
- Mahindra & Mahindra at the 2014 Auto Expo
- Mahindra Formula E Racer unveiled; Will compete in the inaugural season of the FIA E Championship in
- Mahindra XUV500 Hybrid revealed - the first ever diesel powered manual SUV with hybrid technology.
- Mahindra Quanto Automatic revealed; To be launched in the next four months.
- Maruti Suzuki at the 2014 Auto Expo
- 2014 Maruti Suzuki Ciaz Concept sedan revealed; Earlier codenamed as YL1, the Ciaz Concept is based on the
Suzuki Authentics Concept that was shown at the 2013 Shanghai Auto Show and will replace the SX4 sedan in the
- Maruti Suzuki SX4 S-Cross Concept revealed; Will be offered in both petrol and diesel variants, if the Concept
ever goes down the production line.
- Nissan at the 2014 Auto Expo
- 2014 Nissan Sunny Facelift unveiled; The refreshed sedan will be launched in the country in the next three
- Nissan GT Academy has been launched in India; The academy hopes to scout talented young racers and is open
to anyone over the age of 18.
- Renault at the 2014 Auto Expo
- Renault KWID Concept revealed; The quirky looking buggy car concept made its global debut in India.
- 2014 Renault Fluence Facelift launched in India at Rs 14.22 lakh; The Fluence sedan in its second generation
gets subtle styling and feature updates.
- 2014 Renault Duster Adventure Edition launched at Rs 12.18 lakh; The Limited Edition Duster Adventure
features new updates and is being offered in a Metallic Amazon Green colour.
- Skoda at the 2014 Auto Expo
- 2014 Skoda Superb Facelift revealed; Will be launched in India before the end of 2014.
- 2014 Skoda Yeti Facelift revealed; Will hit the market in the second half of 2014.
- Toyota at the 2014 Auto Expo
- 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis revealed; The next-gen Corolla Altis gets styling and feature updates.
- Tata Motors at the 2014 Auto Expo
- Tata Zest
- Tata Bolt hatchback
- Tata Nexon Concept car revealed; Previews company’s design philosophy and intelligent new-genearation HMI
and is based on Vista’s X1 platform.
- Tata ConnectNext Concept car revealed; Previews company’s future of connectivity with advanced interiors.
- Tata Sumo Extreme Concept revealed; The extreme off-roader features two-tone colour scheme, while the
insides are decked in Black-Red combination.
- Tata Safari Storme Ladakh Concept revealed; Features ‘Ladakh’ logo decal, heavy cladding and a bull guard.
- Tata Nano Twist F-Tronic Concept revealed; Combines the dynamics of Nano Twist with the F-Tronic technology
supplied by Italian firm Magneti Marelli.
- Volkswagen at the 2014 Auto Expo
- Volkswagen Taigun Crossover Concept revealed; Based on the VW Up! hatchback, the Taigun Crossover will be
assembled in Pune, India and will compete with the likes of Ford EcoSport and Renault Duster SUV.