Welcome on behalf of all our North
East SHE Partnership members.
The pace of industry in the North East is operate within the companies we serve and
thriving, together with the challenges brought make a real difference to every member of staff.
about by the current skills shortages that many
of our members face. It is at times like this that I genuinely believe the outlook is very positive,
our policies, procedures and working methods with some exciting projects, for securing the
are put to the test; however being a part of the growth of our businesses and workforce alike.
Partnership is invaluable in overcoming some of By continuing our philosophy of learning and
these issues. sharing we will thrive and keep our workers safe.
It is a pleasure to work alongside so many There has never been a better time to invest in
dedicated and enthusiastic professionals, each of neshep. We are a dynamic and forward thinking
which is aligned with the common goal of partnership and our member companies are
improving the Health, Safety and Environmental wholly committed to the industrial sectors
culture of our region. Our success is attained across the north east
through co-operation, mutual respect; and the
learning & sharing of best practice. It is the The following pages will provide a brief overview
wealth of experience of our 50 plus member of our activities. If you require more information
companies, which helps and supports please do not hesitate to contact us. If you
maintaining continuous improvement would like to join an application form is
attached. The application form can also be
One of the key strategic objectives for neshep is downloaded from our website. Alternatively the
to provide a network of professionals, who form can be completed online at
Join us NOW and access a
Alan Bassett (Cognition Media Ltd)
Tel: 01642 619330
huge range of resources and Mob: 07730985362
a network of professionals Email: email@example.com
What is the The Membership Commitment
North East SHE Partnership? Membership of the NESHEP requires a commitment to the promotion and
maintenance of excellence in SHE management and performance. Demonstration of
We are a group of about 50 companies of various disciplines who provide services to this commitment requires the following from each member:
customers in the North East of England who are committed to excellence in safety, • Participation in the meetings, The partnership also encourages the
health and environmental management and performance. We believe that accidents subgroups and presentations. This is implementation of an annual SHE
are preventable and that by developing and sharing best practice we will help to essential to achieve the Partnership improvement plan so that an
keep our workforces safe and our customers sites accident free. This will represent objectives of learning and sharing, organisation’s safety, health &
good business for everyone. drive the improvement process environmental management and
forward and convince our customers performance can be systematically
The Benefits of Membership? and others of its value in keeping
people safe and maintaining
improved year upon year.
• Progressive sharing of current SHE • Hear the HSE perspective on current business efficiency. Audit of the implementation of this plan
initiatives and best practice in health and safety issues, first hand will further demonstrate your
the North East to achieve continual • Submission of annual accident commitment to improve.
• Network with contractors and
improvement statistics so that the performance of
customer representatives who are
member organisations in achieving a
• A forum to contribute your ideas and also committed to SHE improvement
safer workforce can be measured
to seek solutions to your
• Recognition of your commitment via and compared to our targets and to
SHE management problems.
your membership certificate industry norms.
• Access to useful, economic and local and use of the NESHEP logo etc.
SHE training programmes • Payment of the annual subscription
• Annual SHE improvement awards
fee. This is now set at £150 and
How Does the provides funding for our
Partnership Function? arrangements, training and
The Partnership holds meetings with The current subgroups cover the
members and supportive clients every following:
two months at a central venue. These • Sharing and Best Practice
meetings include the presentation of
learning events/new information and • Training and Development
reports and presentations from the • Membership
working sub groups, the HSE and the • Environment
The partnership has formed sub groups • Measurement
from representatives of member • Excellence
companies to develop initiatives and
communicate these to the membership • Promotion and Publicity
for the benefit of all. The subgroup chairpersons meet at the
Partnership Steering Group every other
month to agree new initiatives and the
Accidents are preventable Learning and sharing
North East SHE Partnership ~ Learning and Sharing...
How Can You Workforce The Partnership In Practice
Become A Member? Induction The Partnership is between many companies working in the North East.
If you are an organisation working in the North East The North East SHE Partnership is To be successful the Partnership needs commitment from its clients (the companies
area and want to share in our commitment, then log a partnership between a large customers) and also its workforce (the companies employees).
on to our Website at www.neshep.org for more number of companies in the North
Thanks to the commitment of the Partnership workforce over many years, we have
information or contact us direct, details on page 3. East who are all working together
already made great moves forward in Safety, Health and Environment.
learning and sharing to keep all of
Objectives our employees working safely. To continue this success this Induction summarises the commitment our Partnership
needs from its employees. The responsibilities you should take on everyday that you
• Members informative bi-monthly meetings and work are...
Responsibilities of a NESHEP
• SHE improvement Plans encouraged from all
• Presentation of sharing and learning information
• NESHEP award for best...
-The Culture Company Employee:
Member SHE improvement The culture akin to our partnership • Make Safety, Health and • Promptly report all injuries and
Overall SHE performance is ‘People before Profit’ (which Environment a priority incidents to the supervisor/manager
means profit for all) • Always carry out a mental risk • Develop good procedures and follow
• Review membership accident performance
Previous safety initiatives have assessment before any activity them
• Implement best practice for sub contractor
control been client driven, however with • Do not take any short cuts to • Contribute and bring forward ideas
the formation of NESHEP we have complete any task which may benefit and make safer
• Develop NESHEP as a centre of excellence shown our customers that we can working
• Always be aware of others working
drive forward and create a true
• Deliver training programmes in line with in the area and help colleagues to • Take time to stop, think and consider
partnership in safety, health and
members needs work safely before doing any task whether inside
environment with our North East
or outside of work
• Encourage participation in ‘Promoting Health colleagues. • Correct or report all hazards and
in the Workplace’ defects and ensure they are resolved • Show commitment to NESHEP by
This is affirmed by the wearing the helmet sticker
• Investigate ways of improving environmental following statement: • Always wear the correct PPE and
awareness make sure it is in good condition • Recognise individual safety
“We believe that safety is the first limitations and ask for training or
• Develop interfaces with NEPIC and other similar • Ensure good housekeeping standards
priority because without this help when needed
interest groups in the workplace
priority work opportunities for
• Encourage new committed organisations to individuals and companies will • Always use the correct tools for
join us reduce and stop.” the task
• Plan/implement annual seminar/ event with HSE,
IOSH and other safety groups in the North East
• Increase profile of NESHEP on client sites
The NESHEP target (for safety) is
• Continue website development (www.neshep.org) simply; “To continually reduce
injuries and incidents towards Zero”
• Explore funding opportunities and sponsorship
to secure ongoing development
Developing & sharing best practice Committed to excellence in health, safety & the environment
Ideas For Consideration for SHE
Improvement Plans Take a look at our
• Safety Management System - maintain
or develop an accredited system
• Safety Training Programme - maintain
or develop a pro-active programme from
• Safety Book - develop a company safety
book to be issued to all employees,
addressing key safety information
relevant to accident prevention
employees • Audits - Produce an annual schedule, • COMPETENT PERSONNEL?
involve management, implement and
• Membership of Safety Organisations -
apply or maintain membership of any or
review a ‘close out’ system • PROVEN COMPETENCE?
all of the following recognised bodies: • Employee Consultation - set up an
IOSH Tees Branch employee group for improved • ARE YOU INDUCTED?
Teesside Safety Group communications
North East CDM Support Group • ARE YOU TRAINED?
• SHE Committee - set up a committee to
North East SHE Partnership
Working Well Together Campaign
meet regularly to review all aspects of • ARE YOU SAFE?
safety, health and environment
• EMSS Essential Minimum Safety
Can you prove it...?
• Occupational Health - Implement a
Standard - ensure workers compliance
health screening questionnaire
• Risk Assessments - develop, adapt &
• Safety Award/Competitions - to raise
maintain an ‘in house risk’ assessment
awareness of particular issues
• Tool Box Talks - develop & maintain a
• Personal SHE Charter - produce and ask
employees to sign up to a personal
The log book that allows you to record and prove your:
Tool Box Talk library and ensure a
charter to raise employee awareness of
number of Tool Box Talks are delivered
• Personnel Identification This Personal Competency
to all employees each year. Logbook is a personal document.
• Safety in the home - encourage safety • Trade Competence Training It is primarily intended for
• Safety Bulletin - develop & maintain an
in the home as well as in the workplace employees of third parties,
‘in house’ Safety Bulletin on a quarterly • Essential Minimum Safety Standard Training
basis to be circulated to all staff and • Set Targets - reporting and analysis to contractors and temporary
employees. produce continual improvement employment agencies that
• Company, site and plant inductions perform work for companies and
• Competence Test - develop an internal • Personal Health Issues - raise awareness
• Toolbox talk and other complementary training clients.
‘Competence Test’ for employees on an of personal health issues relating to
annual basis addressing risks and lifestyle, diet, exercise and stress
management The logbook records the
hazards associated with your own
particular industry and review
information required to assess
• Environment Management System -
accordingly whether the holder of the
maintain or develop accredited system document has the knowledge
• Inductions - develop & maintain a • Environmental Checklist - maintain or and skills (education, training
company wide induction which shall be develop a checklist for sites/projects courses, instruction, professional
undertaken by new starters and on each skills, qualifications etc) and is
occasion when they move from site to The north east safety, health & suitable to perform certain work.
...developing solutions with your support
Keeping our workforces safe For more information visit - www.neshep.org