Youtube More then 2 billion visitors/day Upload of 24 hours of video/min. 70% of traffic's comes from outside the US Facebook More the 400 million active users More then 3 billion pictures are uploaded every month. More then 5 billion pieces of content (web links, blog posts, photos etc.) shared every day Twitter 106 million users 55 million tweets/day 600 million queries every day in Twitter search engine Flickr More then 4 billion pictures More then 10 millions pictures/day 115 pictures/second
Social media and web technologies - Master Program
Social Media and Web Technologies
Media Technology Master program
Arianit Kurti Marcelo Milrad
November 25th, 2010
• New Media Landscapes
– The Characteristics
– The Impacts
– Future Trends
• The Need
• Our Offer
– Program Outline
• Our Vision
• What Can We Do Together?
New Media Landscapes
• User Participation
• Content Generation
• Global Presence
• Technology Integration
• Mobility Support
• New Business Opportunities
• These new media landscapes have changed and will
change the way people:
– Do business
– Share experiences
– Share knowledge
– Make friends
Future Trends (Gartner, 2010)
• Social networking services will replace e-mail as the
primary tool for interpersonal communications.
• Social microbloging services will be used as streaming
channels for enterprises.
• Most of social media services that were driven only by
technological innovation will fail.
• Most of collaboration and communication applications
designed on PCs will be modeled after user experience
lessons learned from smartphone collaborative applications.
• Many of the IT jobs in the future do not exist today.
• There is a need for people with knowledge and skills that
focus on the design, development and deployment of
social media applications, innovative services and web-
• There is a need for education programs that will provide
people with knowledge and expertise on how to deal with
rapid technological changes.
• There is a need for dynamic study programs that are
capable to adopt to the evolving business needs and
• A multidisciplinary master program (2 years) that
combines courses and expertise from different areas,
- Web technologies,
- Design and interaction,
- Social media and IT-business.
• A dynamic and flexible study program that enables
personalization of the specialization.
• Our master program is closely aligned with the
overall university strategy:
- Our competences and expertise
- A learning environment that promotes quality
and critical thinking
- Outstanding research
- A driving force for social and regional
- Global Values
What can we do together?
• A partnership for building the present:
• New courses based on industrial needs
• Joint lectures and seminars
• Joint supervision of thesis work.
• A partnership for planning the future:
• Gaining new insights in future trends in the field of social
media and their implications for business
• Keeping the pace with the rapid developments in the field
of mobile and web technologies
• Opportunities to influence the competence development of
your current and future employees
Our Contact Information
• Undergraduate : http://www.lnu.se/media-technology
• Research: http://www.celekt.info/
• Vimeo Channel: http://www.vimeo.com/melnu/
• Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/melnu/
• Flickr Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/groups/melnu/
• This presentation can be downloaded from: