Blueprinting DevOps for
Practice Manager, DevOps
What is it about ‘Being Digital’?
DevOps – A paradigm shift in IT to deliver digitalization
Key challenges in DevOps adoption
DevOps initiatives for Digital Transformation
Why to ‘Be Digital’?
Recent Trends & Predictions..
The Hartford Financial Services Group estimates that by 2025, 75% of the workforce will be
millennials. With this end-user experience becomes even more critical
Gartner forecast by 2020, IoT will consist of 26 Billion devices and generate over $300
billion in incremental revenue by that year
Recently ‘Apple’ made $18 Billion in 90 days, more than 435 firms in the S&P 500 each made
– in total – since 2009
“No device has any value unless it has applications.” – Forbes on IoT
Why to ‘Be Digital’?
What is common in Apple, Uber, Alibaba, Flipkart - ‘Being Digital’
What is the foundation of a successful customer-centric business?
‘Continual Product / Service Innovation’ + ‘Global Scale with Efficiency’
Providing great experiences to socially powered end-users
What is it about ‘Being Digital’ ?
‘Being Digital’ is a shift towards
1. Creating / running business through digital products/services
2. Developing enterprise capabilities to innovate for end-user experience
3. Changing ways of working to deliver digital products in an agile manner
What are CIO/CDOs thinking to ‘Go Digital’?
The key to enable IT groups to deliver Digital Transformation lies in adopting
DevOps ways of working
• How do I innovate to build a digital Ecosystem for business enterprise?
• Should we ‘Build or Buy or Outsource or migrate to Hybrid Models’?
• How do I adopt newer emerging technologies with minimal disruption?
• What is the right operating model that can bring enterprise business change of
‘digital transformation’ with minimal disruption?
• How do I wear multiple hats of a CIO & CDO to deliver digital transformation?
• How do I achieve a radical change towards high performance IT?
What does a Digital Ecosystem look like?
IT Services / Infra Partner
Business Service Provider
Buyer / Consumer
DevOps - A mindset & a way of working
“Automation of IT service
delivery to accelerate change”
"What we have been looking at within Lloyds Banking
Group is how are we transforming the business. One
of the things that will really accelerate [that
transformation] is DevOps.“ Jake McCarthy, Group
Infrastructure Architecture CTO and DevOps lead at
Lloyds Banking Group
“DevOps is an aggregation of a
collaborative set of practices that
“influences” IT Development, Testing &
Operations/Service Management staff to
join hands to “more frequently &
consistently” deliver high quality IT
Services/applications to end-users”.
DevOps – A paradigm shift in IT to deliver Digitalization
Service Models based
Collaboration in Ecosystem
Enterprise Reference Architecture & Service Blueprints
Buyer / Consumer
Software as a
Platform as a
Infrastructure as a
Data as a Service
Integration Services / APIs
Why DevOps is needed for Digital Transformation?
• Critical Enabler to assure delivery of innovative products
• Collaborative IT lifecycle methodology
• Shared Technology services (across Business/ Dev / Testing / Ops)
• Reinforces collaboration & faster communications (internal/external)
• Self-service & Cross-channel focused
• Enabled by Cloud and Automation technologies
• Facilitates ‘Everything as CODE’ mindset
Key challenges in DevOps adoption for Digital Services
on Digital Products
Lack of focus on
Alignment with End-
users & Eco-system
Data & Process
Key foundation levers for successful DevOps strategy
& Ops Management
High Availability &
Opengroup IT4IT framework complements DevOps
13Source: IT4IT functional architecture, The Opengroup
IT Platform /
Food for thought!
What will be left ‘Manual’ ?
Key DevOps initiatives for Digital Transformation
Theme Initiatives Benefits
Collaboration • Collaboration between Business & IT groups
through a common service portal
• Establish common governance/innovation forum
People Mindset changes
Re-use • Reuse functional services through build once reuse-
Industrialize the work
Standardization • Bring enterprise/unit level standardization across all
levels. From software tools, process etc.
• Very basic need to start automation
Better control and
Customer Experience • Bring end-users to interact with organization
comfortably using Digital platforms
Self-Service IT • Leverage Automation & Analytics to empower IT
users for higher efficiency & performance
Better decision making