Revenue and financing models for ecological farmers
November 27 2015
• Entrepeneur since 1988
• Busy with HTML/online since 1994
• Burned out in 2001
• Gardening ever since
• And spending more and more of my dayjob in the
green and green sector.
• And, I want more of that.
Who am I?
• About creating wealth for planet and people.
• About farmers claiming more of the food dollar.
• About being creative.
• About becoming/being free (from banks, boring
• About earning an income.
• And I guess we all want more of that.
What is the afternoon about?
• Some inspirational models for revenue and financing,
including your and Mark’s reaction to it.
• Working in groups working out the Mirror Forest/
• After presenting these we collect the best ideas of
this day and week to share with the whole group.
• Annual crops are much work, have a lot of input, do a
lot of ecological damage, etc etc
• But… they are easy to harvest,
• And easy to sell
• and it is also easy to calculate your living from it
(and banks like that).
Farming the traditional way
• Ecological farming is better for the soil and ecology,
just because it is not one harvest.
• That’s great for your income because you do no
longer depend on one harvest.
• But, those smaller and diverse harvests are
more work to sell.
• And it is also up front
more difficult to calculate how
much you will earn (and banks
don’t like that)
Farming the new way
• If we truly want the new way,
we have to tackle the wealth
• Let take a look at some ways
to market your produce.
Let’s become creative
• Very often selling to local / farmshops is the first
• In some regions shops work together successfully
• More and more research shows that being in
nature has major health benefits for people.
• Never forget: health the largest public
expenditure. Local governments and
insurance companies are very open for good
Mixing with care
• Ecodiversity and recreation for the people
are very well fundable. Both cities and nature
organisations want to work with farmers.
• There is a lot of boundaries to be taken
Nature & recreation
• And offer companies some work-space in
nature or on your place.
• Create experiences for busy work people.
Get really creative
• The new shop are online
The new shop comes to the client in stead of
the other way around
• The new shop is more about service than about
• Meal boxes are very popular
• This is no longer niche but already a prize
The new shops
• Online offers complete new ways of organizing…
• Amateurs can compete with restaurants
• Or hotels of even with you!
• But, you can also team up with the amateur!
The local currencies
• If something like that is happening in your region..
• If it might happen.. Help it along, local currencies
are always good for polyculture farms.
• Yes, it is an old concept
• But online gives it new wings and, new forms
• Polyculture farming is very much about
connecting with people (audience, care,
customers, investers, city…)
• Use the scale possibilities of online… or be used.
• If you are looking for investments, crowdfunding
brings you both money and fans.
Let’s make a plan
• Let’s make a plan for the Spiegelbos
• Bring it from the -50k towards the… 3 million in
15 minutes and 20 steps.
• Create groups with different colours.