...From Boring to Big Bang: How Causes Can Get Interesting And Get Attention From News and Newsfeeds . Presented at Strategy for Good Twin Cities, December 10, 2011.
Aki Spicer, Director of Digital Strategy at Fallon Worldwide, challenges social entrepreneurs and non-profits with a framework for brainstorming their marketing initiatives into bigger, more "social" ideas.
…From Boring to Big BangHow Causes Can Get Interesting And Get Attention From News and NewsfeedsStrategy For Good, Twin Cities#S4GMPLSDecember 10, 2011
Hi. Im Aki Spicer. Director of Digital Strategy Veteran Planning Director @nexus of consumer culture and technology Blogger, Author, User Adjunct Professor, University of Minnesota Co-Founding "Ofﬁcer of Good" for Planning For Good Forging a “post-digital” approach Ushering advertising into the age of participation
The harsh truth (from a friend who cares)…Your Press Release is often not a story (worth telling).Yet.
10 #Winning Approaches to Get Interesting…and Get Attention From News and Newsfeeds Lets look at some highly effective cause marketers, and what you can learn from them.
1. A great master of marketing Interestingness:William Castle, knew well how to Inject a Bit ofTheater into his announcements
2. Tate Modern Dumbs It Down by making ﬁne artrelatable to pop culture and current times
3. Childrens’ Defense Fund Shocks/Mocks theSystem by running a 10YO for President
4. Minnesota Planetarium Society Challenges Age-Old Assumptions with a provocative new world view
5. “I Love Boobies” gets Refreshingly Honest toengage youth targets with a serious issue
6. Livestrong and #iranelection, and Starbuck’s Jobsfor USA Make Participation Easy
7. PETA Borrows Equity from buzzworthy celebhijinks to get their own message passed along
8. Susan G. Komen and (Red) recognizes and LendsEquity to brands
9. Special Olympics and MS Make People Co-Marketers into their otherwise serious agendas
10. Movember introduces “man cancer” into theconversation by generously Lending Interestingnessto Its Participants
10 #Winning Approaches to Get Interesting 1. Inject A Bit Of Theater 2. Dumb It Down 3. Shock/Mock The System 4. Challenge Age-Old Assumptions 5. Get Refreshingly Honest 6. Make Participation Easy 7. Borrow Equity 8. Lend Equity (to brands) 9. Make People Co-Marketers 10. Lend Interestingness to Your Participants…and Get Attention From News and Newsfeeds
Fallon Brainfood—trends, ideas, opportunities, andthought leadership for our brands.Brainfood is our all-agency food-for-thought.Where we’ve been in recent years:Being Digital // Social 10 // Virtuality // Design For All //China Rising // Fall0nylitics // Mobile 10 // The Google+ Opportunity //How Customer Service Will Save Luxury // Startup and Never Stop //Coupons 2.0 // How to Make Contagious Ideas // and moreUpcoming:Social Media Dollars and Sense // UX and You // How to PlanMobile Apps // and moreMissed previous Brainfoods?Go to http://www.slideshare.net/group/we-are-fallon