* To date
• Healthcare Meets Animation:
$470,000 Investment in
• A Veteran Team Joins Hands:
$470,000 Investment in Game
Developer Cherry Bugs
[New Service Launches]
• Mverse releases ‘Surprise,’ a mobile app that
notifies users of offline sales at major retailers
• Dunamu releases ‘Stocks Plus For Kakao,’ a
real-time, social stock quote service
Currency Rate: 1,000 KRW = 1 USD
FAMILY STARTUP OVERVIEW(Service)
Mobile channel for
for moms & nurseries
with mobile beauty
stock quotes with
Social Q&A service
for global digital &
Founded by former
Will develop a
(trading card game)
character RPG Mighty
New game to be
released in April 2014 Valcon
game to be
released in 2014
New game to be
released in April 2014
Sharing the fun of
MMORPG games with
GameFAMILY STARTUP OVERVIEW(Game)
New game to be
released in April 2014
Frograms’ 19 award-winning engineers and data scientists are
• Tae Hoon Park, CEO: Attended KAIST (“Korea’s MIT”); developed
new services at Korean game developer Nexon
• Kyung Yoon Oh, CTO: KAIST graduate; International Olympiad
in Informatics Gold Medal; ACM-ICPC World Finalist
• Choong Jae Lee: Computer Engineering Ph.D from POSTECH;
Korea Olympiad in Informatics Bronze Medal
• Ha Neul Choi: POSTECH graduate; DEF CON CTF 3rd Place
• Ji Hyung Park: KAIST graduate; Korea Olympiad in Informatics
• Yong Joo Song: KAIST graduate; Korea Olympiad in
Informatics Bronze Medal
• Watcha! has 90 million stars in ratings; Korea’s #1 internet
portal Naver’s movie section has 5 million stars in ratings
• Frograms won the 2nd Place Prize in the Google K-Startup
Competition 2012 for Watcha!
• Pursuing global expansion and new content categories in
WishLink, Inc. was founded by two of Korea’s leading
experts in online shopping.
• Minuk Kim, CEO: Head of Sales Unit of NHN Shopping;
recognized by peers as the “most networked person” in
Korea’s online shopping industry
• Cheonju Seo, CTO: Team leader of the mobile platform
development for Korea’s #3 shopping site, 11street
Less than 1 year since its service launch, monthly revenue
reached nearly $1 million.
‘KakaoStyle’ functions as a mobile fashion ad platform to
retailers and an information service on trends to fashion-
• 100+ top class Korean retailers such as StyleNanda and
Naning9 are registered on KakaoStyle
• Available to Kakao’s 35 million users and as an app
• Currently being launched in China
The Mverse team:
• Shi Hyun Joo, CEO: KAIST graduate; Consultant at Bain &
Company; Co-Founder of Silicon Valley startup ‘StyleSays’
• Tae Eun Kim, Executive: KAIST graduate; Winner of the
Red Dot Award: Design Concept
The ‘Surprise’ app aggregates the latest announcements
about sales at major stores like Nike, Lacoste and Zara for
Mverse plans to add location services to Surprise that will
recognize when a user is nearby or has entered a retailer
and automatically send coupons and new product info via
Greenmonster’s CEO Ji Soo Ha is a venture capitalist turned
entrepreneur and his team has a record of developing
several successful apps.
‘Flava’ is a multiplatform journaling service (life log) with a
beautiful mobile UX that makes it easy and enjoyable to
record life’s moments.
• Available in 150 countries
• 1.2 million users since its September 2012 launch
• 65% of users are from overseas (top 3 countries for
overseas usage are China, U.S. and Japan respectively)
More Info: Website
[PCMag] The 100 Best Android Apps of 2013
[Fast Company] 5 FREE APPS TO GET YOU IN THE DOOR,
KEEP YOUR LIFE ON TRACK, AND MUCH MORE
Availability: Global (150 countries)
iTunes Google Play
Vingle was founded by serial entrepreneurs Changseong Ho and
Jiwon Moon, famous husband and wife entrepreneurs who
successfully founded the Silicon Valley startup, Viki, which in 2013
was acquired by Rakuten.
• Jiwon Moon, CEO: M.A. in Education from Harvard University
• Changseong Ho, COO: M.B.A. from Stanford University
‘Vingle,’ an interest-based community platform that allows people
to connect via their shared interest, already has 2 million monthly
visitors coming from over 105 nations, including the U.S., Japan,
Indonesia, and Mexico.
Availability: Global (105 countries)
More Info: Website
Two long-time colleagues at Korea’s largest antivirus
software firm, AhnLab, Inc., combined their technical &
business expertise to found Kids Note. Both are second-
• Jang Wook Choi, CEO: Technology Team of AhnLab;
Founder of Vault Micro Software
• Joon Yong Kim, CEO: Security Division of AhnLab;
Founder of The First Penguin
The ‘Kids Note’ app, a smart notification service, is the first
of its kind and a clear market leader in its category.
Kids Note is a closed SNS service for real-time
communication between parents and nursery schools.
• 16% of all Korean nursery and preschools (8,000 out of
50,000) use Kids Note
• The second-place app in this category has less than 10%
of the number of downloads compared to Kids Note
Dunamu Founder & CEO Chi Hyung Song is a nationally
recognized top-tier engineer. He was designated to teach Korea’s
most talented engineers as a Mentor in the Korea Software
Maestro Program, a prestigious training system operated by
South Korea’s Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy. Only 100 of
the best software engineers are chosen annually to participate.
Dunamu CSO Hyung Nyun Kim is the former CEO of Futurewiz, a
mobile finance information and solution company based in Korea.
• Chi Hyung Song, CEO: B.S. in Computer Science & M.A. in
Economics from Seoul National University
• Hyung Nyun Kim, CSO: CEO, Futurewiz
Stocks Plus for Kakao
‘Stocks Plus for Kakao’ allows users to easily check their stock
quotes in real-time through Kakao, Korea’s top mobile platform
with 35 million users. It has a social feature through which users
can see which stocks their friends are keeping track of.
Dunamu seeks to offer a one-stop mobile service for conducting
all stock-related activities.
The WIV Labs team is made up of Korea’s definitive experts
in search engines. Its programmers developed Korea’s #2
search engine, Daum, end-to-end from scratch.
WIV Labs aims to become a leader in the social Q&A field
by providing a service capable of collecting and analyzing
the large-scale amounts of data produced by SNS.
Social Q&A Service, ‘Qaster’
Right now, a huge scope of significant information is
produced by users’ questions and answers on SNS, but it is
difficult to search and find the specific information that you
WIV Labs’ new service ‘Qaster’ solves this problem by
collecting and analyzing data from SNS and extracting the
meaningful information found in users’ questions and
The beta version of Qaster was launched at the end of
Seedpaper offers practical, mobile-based content that helps
regular women enhance their lifestyle. Its newly launched
content brand ‘Self Beauty’ offers easy-to-follow videos &
guides featuring renowned makeup & hair experts.
Self Beauty’s content is available on Kakao’s ‘Plus Friend’
feature, which allows users to receive special content from
artists, brands and publications. With content from
prominent experts such as hair designer Cha Hong and
makeup artist Jung Saem Mool, the response to Self Beauty
has been positive.
‘Kakao Page’ is an online marketplace for digital content
and Self Beauty’s ‘Kakao Page’ has also been popular with
• Self Beauty became available in Plus Friend in July 2012
and gained 250,000 subscribers within 2 months
• Current number of Plus Friend subscribers is 300,000
• 730,000 readers on Self Beauty’s Kakao Page
HealthWave creates animations that make it easy for
patients and caretakers to understand complicated medical
procedures such as breast cancer surgery by watching them
on their smartphones. HealthWave’s CEO, Dr. Hee Doo
Chung, M.D., was a general surgeon at Seoul National
In 2011, HealthWave launched the world’s first information
prescription service called ‘HiChart.’ HiChart has hundreds
of animations that explain how complicated medical
procedures are performed as well as the risks & side effects.
In the past, it may have taken an hour for a doctor to
explain to a patient about a complex surgery with diagrams
and printed materials. In addition to the time this required,
there was often a gap between the understanding that the
doctor wanted to convey and the patient’s actual
understanding of the procedure.
Now when a doctor prescribes a HiChart animation for the
patient to watch on a smartphone, this not only helps the
patient to fully understand the procedure, closing the gap
in understanding, but it also saves time.
• HealthWave has created 900 animations (with exclusive
rights) and about 3,000 more subjects for animations exist
• HiChart is expanding globally through open beta services
in the U.S., Japan and Singapore
One of Korea’s most recognized icons in fashion design and an
industry expert in digital content have teamed up to found byBox,
the curation commerce service for fashion.
• Se Woon Jurn, CEO: Producer at Cheil Worldwide Inc., where he
was recognized for his successful execution of IPTV content
• Ho Sub Kang, Chief Curator: Professor of Fashion Design at
Hongik University (Korea’s top arts school); Mentor on television
program ‘Project Runway Korea’
byBox is a curation commerce service for boxes of jewelry and
accessories created by Korean designers and curated by major
celebrities and experts such as renowned fashion stylists.
Up-and-coming local designers collaborate with these influential
figures to introduce their products on byBox’s platform. This
enables customers to obtain unique fashion items that are not
available anywhere else, at reasonable prices.
• Scheduled to release several new boxes curated by top Korean
celebrities of ‘Hallyu’ (the Korean Wave) in the first half of 2014
• Will expand into other lifestyle categories including living, food
and children’s goods
Vius Korea is the creator of Mr. Koon, the curation commerce
service that sells high-tech digital & design products from
around the world to early adopter tech-lovers faster and at lower
prices than any other online commerce site.
The Mr. Koon team includes two Co-Founders of TicketMonster,
the online ticketing platform, and the CFO of Reebonz, the
online luxury goods retailer.
Mr. Koon scours the globe for colorful and distinctive IT, design
and household items with high-tech features in categories
ranging from IT, camping, leisure and household. Mr. Koon has
established a unique market position in Korea by targeting male
early tech adopters (+70% of customers are male).
Mr. Koon’s reasonable prices, made possible by cutting out the
middleman and streamlining the buying process, have led to
significant customer growth.
• Monthly revenue has reached nearly $1 million (average amount
of each customer order is about $150 USD)
• +60,000 registered users (250% increase since September 2013)
• Its new distribution system delivers orders within 7 days
The heads of each department, including development, animation
and strategy, that created the hit online MMORPG ‘C9’ (which
took the Grand Prize at the 2009 Korea Game Awards) formed
Fincon together to make mobile RPGs.
• Choong Kil Yoo: Producer & Head of Strategy for C9
• Jung Hyun Kim: Head of Client Services for C9
• Jay Young Kim: Head of Servers for C9
• Sung Hwan Kim: Head of Characters for C9
• Ki Young Nam: Head of New Business at Webzen Games
• Fincon grew from 11 to 40 employees
• Tens of millions of dollars in revenue
Fincon’s first mobile RPG ‘Hello Hero’ was once ranked the #1
free game in the iTunes App Store and #3 popular app in Google
Play. It also rose to the #5 game in the global Google Play
ranking at one point.
• 280+ diverse collectible characters
• Available in about 150 countries including the U.S., U.K. and
• Once ranked as the #1 paid app in China
Availability: Global (150 countries)
iTunes Google Play
Neptune’s CEO Wook Jung built his team with several
recognized leaders in Korea’s gaming industry.
• Wook Jung, CEO: CEO of NHN Entertainment
• Sang Hoon Kwon, CTO: CTO of NHN Japan
• Han Sang Cho, COO: COO of NHN Entertainment
Neptune released its first game ‘Nexon Pro Baseball Master’
in 2013 and will release its second RPG in April 2014.
‘Nexon Pro Baseball Master’
Nexon Pro Baseball Master 2013 is a baseball simulation
game for smartphones.
• 2.5 million downloads since launch
Dryad stands out among game startups for its strong team.
• Young Seo, CEO: Producer at Daum Mobile Games
• Jungdae Lee, Producer: Producer at Daum Mobile Games
• Hongmo Kim, CTO: Engineer at NC Soft and Daum
• Dohyung Ban, Art Director: M.F.A. in Computer Art from
the School of Visual Art
Dryad was founded in May 2012 with the aim of
developing mobile RPGs to introduce a brand new genre of
Dryad plans to develop a TCG that reflects Korean gamers’
preferences and is focused on creating one that’s unique
from the TCGs popular in Japan.
‘Legions’ (To Be Released)
Dryad’s debut TCG, called ‘Legions,’ will be published by
NHN Entertainment in April 2014.
O’ol Blue was started by CEO Nam Suk Kim and the key
developers who brought the award-winning MMORPG ‘C9’
to Korean gamers in 2009.
O’ol Blue released ‘Mighty Quest,’ a game that combines
the fun of RPG and puzzles to a character collection game.
In December 2013, O’ol Blue released Mighty Quest, a fun
mobile RPG that features diverse characters and has a wide
appeal to all types of gamers. More than 50,000 people
reserved a copy before its release.
What differentiates Mighty Quest from other character
collection games is that players don’t have to throw away
characters that they worked hard to raise simply because
their ability levels are low.
Any character in the game can be raised to achieve the
highest ability level possible.
Dubaki means ‘two wheels’ in Korean, which represents the
founders’ philosophy that ‘performance’ and ‘the ability to
work well with others’ are the two elements that are
essential to a great team.
Dubaki was founded by the team behind successes
including the mobile 3D MMORPG ‘Dragon Mist’ and the
large-scale mobile shooting game ‘Air Hunter,’ which won
praise when WeMade Entertainment showcased it at the E3
Expo and the G-Star Global Game Exhibition.
Dubaki plans to release a casual shooting game in April
The Valcon team is made up of six game developers who
spent many years working together to develop MMORPG
titles at Nexon and XL Games.
• Woo Jun Jung, CEO: In charge of strategy & monetization
at ArcheAge and Nexon Live Game
• Hee Young Kim, Executive: Part Leader for Game Design
at XL Games
Valcon is set to release a new type of defense
game that combines social feedback and an online game
narrative in April 2014.
The Cherry Bugs team consists of six experienced
developers who worked together at WeMade Entertainment,
one of Korea’s top game companies, for many years and
produced award-winning games.
Chul Ho Jung, CEO
• Section Chief of WeMade Entertainment’s graphics
department, which had 120 graphic designers
• His PC game ‘The Boss’ won the Grand Prize at the 2003
Korea Game Awards
Hyun Jin Jang, Producer
• Globally recognized animator
• Won 4th Place at Dominance War, the international
game art competition
Min Soo Kang, a developer with over 10 years of
experience in creating large-scale MMORPGs, and other
top-rated developers round out the Cherry Bugs team.
Red Sahara was founded by developers who formerly worked
together at Webzen Games, building a strong sense of
teamwork and creating successful large-scale games over the
course of 4 years.
• Ji Hoon Lee, CEO: Section Chief of Global Business at
Webzen Games, led the successful launch of game services
• Jung Suk Park, Executive: Producer at Webzen Games, led
the development of large major games including the online
FPS ‘Battery’ and ‘R2’ (Reign of Revolution), has 15 years of
experience in game development alone
• Dong Hwan Noh, Chief Game Designer: Chief of Business
Division at Webzen Games, played a practical role in
achieving the success of blockbuster games including ‘C9,’
‘MU BLUE’ and ‘MU THE GENESIS’
Red Sahara is slated to launch a mobile strategy RPG game
titled ‘Immortal Warrior’ in April 2014. Immortal Warrior will
offer players a 100% immersive fighting experience in which
they can build differentiated fighting strategies and cultivate
an array of characters.
K Cube Family
WE SHARE WHAT WE LEARN & GROW TOGETHER
Family CEO Day is a monthly networking event for K Cube
Ventures’ family companies.
• Executives share advice & discuss opportunities for
• Contributes to Korea’s startup ecosystem as a forum for
knowledge sharing & networking
K Cube family companies have access to an innovative
online & mobile platform where they can:
• Share their best practices and past experiences
• Make more efficient and effective executive decisions
through opinion sharing
HANDS-ON & PRACTICALASSISTANCE
K Cube Ventures provides our family with diverse
opportunities for business collaboration through our
wide network of industry experts including investors,
incubators, startups and media outlets. We also:
• Provide advice for expansion in Asia and overseas
• Assist with HR, PR and management issues such as
tax, legal and accounting matters
& Mgmt. Support
K Cube Conferences
K Cube Ventures regularly holds conferences to contribute
to the Korean startup ecosystem. Other events include:
• Shina Chung, Partner, gives one-on-one mentoring
sessions to entrepreneurs on a monthly basis at Korea’s
#1 co-working space for entrepreneurs, D.Camp
• We offer numerous lectures at universities such as KAIST
and Seoul National University as well as prominent
startup and IT events
OUR VISION & FOUNDERS
K Cube Ventures is an early stage venture capital firm
founded in April 2012 with the vision of harnessing the
power of startups to change our world.
Brian Kim, the creator of Korea’s icon of innovation,
Kakao, founded K Cube Ventures together with Jimmy
Rim, known for his investments in internet, mobile and
gaming startups including SundayToz, the maker of
K Cube Ventures believes that early stage startups not
only need financial support, but also experienced
mentors. To this end, K Cube Ventures assists startups
in the areas of business development, networking,
team building, strategy consulting, investment &
financial affairs, HR & PR and management.
Thus far, K Cube has invested in 20 companies and will
continue to invest in early stage startups in categories
such as data analysis technology, social and commerce.
(Between $100 thousand to $1 million per startup on
In addition, K Cube is committed to sustaining the
active networking and knowledge sharing that exist
among our startups through our unique family culture
and contributing to the development of Korea’s startup
Current: Chairman, K Cube Ventures
Previous: CEO, NHN Corporation
B.S. and M.S. in Industrial Engineering from
Seoul National University
Current: CEO, K Cube Ventures
Previous: Principal, Softbank Ventures
Consultant, Boston Consulting Group
Strategy Manager, NHN Corporation
B.S. in Industrial Engineering from KAIST
Startup’s Best Friend – We Help Extraordinary Talents Take a Leap of Faith
• General Manager, Naver Business
• Manager of Strategy and Business
Development, eBay Inc.
• Consultant, Boston Consultant Group
Shina Chung, Partner
• Co-Founder & Executive, Idea Works
(mobile service startup)
• Associate, VirtualTek
• Manager, SK Communication
• Manager, CJ Corporation
Jun Kim, Principal
• 10+ years of experience in value
investing and arbitrage (+30% IRR)
• Associate, Strategy & Management
Team, STX Corporation
DP Lee, Senior Associate
• Consultant, Boston Consulting Group
• Founder, STUDYSPOON (educational
• Researcher, Zeroin
• Project Manager, Nexon Mobile
• Founder, MCL (intercollegiate
marketing strategy club)
Jay Cho, Senior Associate
PR & HR Team
• HR & PR Manager, Fast Track Asia
• Consultant, IBM Korea
• Consultant, Korea Productivity Center.
Anne Seo, PR & HR Manager
Daisy Lee, Admin Manager
• Assistant Manager, KTB Network
• Assistant Manager, Solomon Bank
• Admin Manager, UQI Partners
• Admin Manager, Medici Investment
K Cube Ventures invests in internet, mobile,
game and tech startups. We believe that we can
provide our best support to startups that are in
our field of expertise.
1. Where do you invest?
The seed stage to the growth stage. We also
invest in startups that do not have products or
services yet and those in the process of
assembling their teams.
2. At which stage do you invest?
Between $100 thousand and $1 million per
startup on average.
3. How much do you invest?
K Cube believes that people are the most
important element of startup success. We look
for entrepreneurs with a strong sense of mission
and startups that act like ‘painkillers’ that solve
4. What are your investment criteria?
We not only provide financial investment, but
also give startups access to K Cube’s network
and business insights. We give assistance for
needs such as recruitment, entry into global
markets, creating partnerships with large
companies and public relations.
5. How do you support startups?
K Cube Ventures takes a minority stake in the
company without securities or guarantees. We
invest with the goal of a venture exit through an
IPO or M&A within 7-9 years.
6. What are your exit criteria?
K Cube Ventures aims to become a startup’s
best friend. We want to be the first people that
a gifted entrepreneur or team will call when
they consider doing a startup. We also want to
help cultivate the Korean startup ecosystem
through our active early stage investment and
our ultimate goal is to assist startups that will
create innovation on a global scale.
7. What are your operational goals?