The small volcanic island was
disturbed from its peaceful
existence in 1997 when the
• There were 9 farmers found dead in the exclusion zone.
• Your task:
• Examine the evidence provided on the cards, and try to
work out who, or what, was responsible for the death of
• Sort your cards out into the following 5 categories
The UK Government
The Montserrat island authorities
The Antiguan people
The Soufriere Hills Volcano itself
• Then fill out the sheet about who was responsible for
the death of Jean the farmer, who was to blame?
Who was responsible for the
death of Jean?
Imagine that you are a reporter travelling to
Montserrat to try to solve the Mystery of Jeans
What information would you need to know?
Here is some more information…
To help you, you should consider the 5 following ‘suspects’!
1.The UK Government (they were responsible for the
evacuation of all people in the ‘exclusion area’)
2.The Montserrat island authorities (they were given
emergency aid by the UK Government)
3.The Antiguan people (they soon ran out of comfortable
accommodation for refugees from Montserrat)
4.The farmers (why did they stay in the ‘exclusion area’?)
5.The Soufriere Hills Volcano (the pyroclastic flow from
the volcano devastated seven villages)
Who was responsible for the death of Jean?
Montserrat Mystery Report
Write a short newspaper report (no more than one page)
on your research into the deaths on Montserrat.
You should include:
• A description of the volcanic eruption
• A discussion of how each of the key suspects could have contributed
to the deaths of nine farmers in Montserrat
• A summary of who or what you think was most responsible for the
deaths and why
You may choose the style of newspaper for which you
write (e.g. tabloid, broadsheet etc).