• To identify different types of attractions in your local
• Understand what factors attract tourists.
• To investigate the attractions on offer to different
Types of tourists
• A tourist can be classed as anyone who travels
anywhere at any time. People who stay away from
home for a short time (for business or visiting
relatives) may be classed as tourist.
• Tourist that stay within their own country are called
• Tourists who travel abroad are classed as
What does a tourist need?
• Depending on which type of tourist you
are you will have different requirements
from your trip.
• Look at the following pictures and
statements and see if you can sort out
the tourist with their particular needs.
Mix and Match
We need water parks,
entertainment, child friendly
I must have fast broadband
connection and 5 star
close to transport links.
Good views, not too busy or
noisy. It would be lovely to
have easy access to the main
Parties, beach and somewhere
close to town.
Tourist attractions in
your local area?
In your pairs try to think of as many
local tourist attractions as possible
and add them to your diagram?
See if you can
What attracts tourists?
Countries with a successful tourist industry usually offer a combination of
both physical and human attractions. Make a list of the physical and human
attractions, are any found in your local area?
Physical Attractions Human Attractions
• You have been asked by ‘Visit London’ to produce a
magazine poster advert about Tourism in London and
South East England. You will need to include the
– The key sites to visit in your area.
– What physical and human features may attract people to this
– Who would be attracted to these sites and why? (families/
young people or elderly people)
• You may want to focus on one or two sites and provide
specific information about visiting this site.
You can use the laptops to research and prepare your
advert. To be completed and handed in next lesson.
Here’s my example …
In a memorable visit to England,
Visit South East England!
THE South East…
THE region for tourism!
9.00 Breakfast in #London
10.15 Shopping @Harrods – wow!
11.30 Walk in Richmond Park
12.49 Photo next to phone boxes
in historic Kingston – cool!
1.10 Lunch at Jamie's place - yummmee!
2.45 Arrive in Brighton – relax on beach
3.30 SHOPPING in Brighton
6.30 Fish and chips on the
b beach by the pier! #delicious
9.00 Train back to London & collapse in bed. #lovelondon