29. Scout hears Calpurnia speaking differently at the black church than she does at the Finch house.30. Reverend Sykes orders the doors shut until the congregation gives him $10 for Helen Robinson and her family because she can’t work while Tom is in jail.31. The congregation sings by lining because they can’t read or afford books.
32. Atticus says that Aunt Alexandra is there to help him with the kids during the summer because it will be hot.2. Aunt Alexandra requests that Atticus explain that the Finch family is important and that the children need to live up to the name.34. Atticus says that Calpurnia will be there until she wants to leave because she is family.35. Atticus is at the jail guarding Tom.
36. Mr. Cunnigham calls off the lynch mob.37. Mr. Underwood was leaning out of his window across the street guarding Atticus.38. “Mobs” are regular people.39. Miss Maudie believes the trial is morbid and she has no business with the court.40. Scout overhears that Judge Taylor assigned the case to Atticus, so he has to defend Tom. This comforts her a little bit, but the town also says that the problem is that Atticus will really defend Tom.
41. The children sit with Reverend Sykes in the colored balcony.42. Atticus asks the sheriff if anyone called a doctor.43. Atticus leads Sheriff Tate to remember that it was Mayella’s right eye.44. Atticus is attempting to show that Mr. Ewell is left handed and could have hit his daughter.
45. Mayella thinks Atticus is mocking her because he was being polite.46. Tom says Mayella, grabbed his legs, hugged him, and kissed him.47. Tom said he felt sorry for Mayella. This was a mistake because he was black and she was white.
48. Mr. Raymond says he pretends to be drunk to give people a reason for the way he lives. He prefers to live in a black world rather than the white one. Calpurnia is similar because she also navigates between two worlds.49. Atticus believes that although people are not created equal, the court makes them equal by giving them a fair chance.50. Rev. Syke’s has never seen a jury side in favor of a colored man.
51. Atticus tells Alexandra that this is the way they have made the town and the children need to learn to deal with it.52. Miss Maudie says Atticus is the only one who could keep a jury out for so long. She also said it was a baby step in the right direction to end racism.53. Bob Ewell spat a nasty concoction of spit and tobacco juice in Atticus’s face.
54. Women can’t serve on juries in Alabama because they would ask too many questions and they should be protected from particular topics.55. He allowed a Cunningham on the jury based on a hunch because he felt a loyalty from the family.56. Jem decides that Boo just doesn’t want to come out because people are mean.
57. Miss Stephanie tells Scout to start wearing dresses if she wants to become a lady.58. Atticus tells them that Tom Robinson is dead.59. Tom was tired of white men’s chances and decided to take his own when he was shot 17 times trying to escape.60. Mr. Underwood says that it is a crime to kill a cripple and likened it to the senseless slaughter of songbirds.
61. Scout concludes that Tom was dead the minute Mayella opened her mouth and screamed.62. Miss Gates condemns Hitler which confuses Scout because it makes Miss Gates appear to be hypocrite by hating black people at home.63. Judge Taylor has a shotgun because someone cut the screen on the back porch.64. Helen walks a mile out of her way because Bob Ewell is chunking at her.
65. Scout knows the body she touches is not Jem’s because it has a hairy face and smells like whiskey.66. Dr. Reynolds says that Jem is alive but has a broken arm.67. The extra person is a country man that Scout doesn’t know.68. Sheriff Tate tells Atticus that Bob is dead.69. Bob Ewell is the kind of man you should just shoot instead of saying, “hi.”
70. She realizes that he is Boo and says, “Hey, Boo.”71. Atticus thinks Jem killed Bob Ewell.72. The Sheriff says that Bob fell on his own knife.73. Scout is sad because Boo gave them presents and their lives, but they never gave him anything back.74. Scout says Stoner’s Boy was very nice. Atticus adds that most people are nice when you meet them.