Introduction To Todays Job Market
- 3. “ For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today.” – African Proverb © 2009 LaunchPad Careers, Inc.
- 13. Famous Too Big to Fails (The Present) © 2009 LaunchPad Careers, Inc.
- 14. The Crash Bernard Ebbers CEO of WorldCom Ken Lay, CEO of Enron Dennis Kozlowski CEO of Tyco © 2009 LaunchPad Careers, Inc.
- 16. Not the Great Depression Historical Unemployment Rate © 2009 LaunchPad Careers, Inc.
- 20. New Working World Order © 2009 LaunchPad Careers, Inc. Old World New World Large corporations were stable, provided longevity and great benefits. Too big to fail just failed. Layoffs are used to maintain shareholder value. Companies provided training and a path for career growth. Companies use human capital just as other resources. Just in time. People placed an emphasis on stability and loyalty over personal growth and development. Companies are loyal to their shareholders and “worker-preneurs” are loyal to their personal goals. Employees worked hard and were rewarded for that hard work. Employees work hard, but will continue to look for greener pastures. Career path was well defined. Career path may change numerous times, and is not defined by the corporation. Job duties had a narrow and defined focus. Job description is undefined, and will change often and at times without notice.
- 24. “ As organizations reshape themselves to survive and compete in a global economy, the familiar employee-employer contract has been broken. The drastically changing world of work demands a new social contract – one that says we are all self-employed whether we work inside or outside of the organization.” – Cliff Hakim We Are All Self-Employed © 2009 LaunchPad Careers, Inc.