Abraham Jankans, Founder and CEO
Startup Market Analysis and Pricing
How Do I Know What
I Need To Find Out?
• You Don't Know
• You Have To Start Asking Questions
• Start a focus group
• Build a network of professionals in the
• Entrepreneurs Have To Be Very Inquisitive
How Important Is It to Check
Out What The Competition Is
• It's Very Important!
• Build partnerships with your competition
• Maybe you can learn from them
• Maybe you can do business with them
• The best strategy is to have a competitive
• Medicine vs. Vitamin
What Can Marketing Consultants
Do For A Small Business With
Very Little Start-Up Capital?
• Conserve Cash-Capital - Have a "Low Burn
• Try to leverage "Human Capital"
• Outsource non-essential tasks (If you can
• Be your best sales person
• If you don't know how to sell, Learn!!!
How Do You Decide
On The Right Price?
• Again, is it a Medicine or Vitamin
• Medicine - What are the savings provided to the
customer. If you saved them $100, charge them $95
• Vitamin - Market & efficiencies really determines
• Go to your focus group? How much would you pay for
my product or service?
• Don't try to be the cheapest. Race to the bottom!
How Did I Learn
• "Google It" - If you can't ﬁnd it, you are
• How did I learn pricing strategies -
Connected with other successful
entrepreneurs and read books!
How Does Pricing Affect Your
Business Brand Identity?
• It's shouldn't - You've got to always be seeking out
ways to differentiate your business.
• Apple Computers - Not the best, but they are
the most expensive and most successful
• Can you come up with a unique pricing model?
• Example - T-Mobile: No-contract, unlimited
service, one ﬂat rate!
• Example - Indian Street Vendors
What Challenges Did I
Have Pricing My Product
• govtHub.com - We're still developing the
• Maintaining Consistency - Customers
• Research • Contractors
• Newport Beach Public Library
• Free Wi-Fi • elance.com
• Free audio books
• google.com • Virtual Assistance
• Learning www.ivaa.org
• iTunes University - Free Podcasts
• Stanford Entrepreneurial Thought • Essential Reading
• 4 Hour Work