Look GoodWhenYou're Googled:
Creating and Optimizing
Your Digital Identity
2014 ACRL New England Chapter Annual Conference
Reference & Instructional Design Librarian
University of Rhode Island
Why does this matter?
You will be Googled
(or Bing-ed, or DuckDuckGo-ed…)
Why make it hard for your audience to find
Hughes, M. (2013). US teacher suspended after racy Twitter photos - Telegraph. Retrieved from
So when folks Google her?
• Develop a personal brand
–Same picture, same name, everywhere
• “Be professional, be personable”
ManageYour Digital Identity -
EnhanceYour Image: Social
• Find & follow colleagues, classmates, committee
• Upload presentations, share them with
colleagues around the world.
• Embed presentations in other tools.
• Professional social network.
• Link to SlideShare,Twitter, others
Start a LinkedInAccount
Already have an account?
• Log in – www.linkedin.com
• Find someone at your table to connect with!
Recommendation: Don’t have LinkedIn import
your contacts.That can be kind of creepy.
EnhanceYour Image: AcademicTools
Google considers these important, and
prioritizes these in search engine results.
Google Scholar Citations
• Connects you to your work in Google
Scholar (including materials in your
• Verified through your academic email
• Easily export your citations to a citation
Academic Social Networks
These allow you to find, follow, and
sometimes read papers from other
Social Media Data and More
• Profile aggregates SlideShare views,
citations, mentions in social media, etc.
Citation Managers with a SocialTwist
• Make your profile and library public?
• Has groups to join and follow