• Over time, enhanced technology and manufacturing
processes have evolved glass into a lot of varieties.
• Tempered glass is one such versatile variety of glass
that finds its use in a lot of industries, most notably
automotive and architecture.
• AIS Glass is India’s leading glass manufacturing
company, and specializes in the production of
automotive and architectural tempered glass.
What is Tempered
• Tempered glass is a type of safety glass manufactured by
controlled thermal or chemical treatments to increase its
• It is also known as toughened glass.
• It is primarily used in automotive windows, architectural glass
doors and windows, cookware, and mobile devices.
How is Tempered
• First, float glass is put in a long furnace, and heated to
approximately 680° C, which is equal to the softening
temperature of glass.
• Through pressing or natural gravity, the glass is
simultaneously shaped, and thereafter, cooled rapidly.
• The cooling is achieved through quenching, which is the
process of blasting heated glass sheets with cool air as soon
as they are out of the furnace.
• Due to quenching, stress points are created in the glass, thus
making it four to five times stronger than ordinary float glass.
Advantages of Tempered
Glass in Architecture
• It is physically and thermally stronger (by up to five times)
than normal glass due to its compressive strength, thereby
providing additional safety.
• Due to its enhanced impact resistance, tempered glass is
frequently used in home and office architecture to impart
• Since it greatly enhances the security of a space, it is also a
great choice for doors and windows as well.
• It is also used in shower cubicles, tabletops, partitions,
Advantages of Tempered
Glass in Automobiles
• In automobiles, safety of the passengers is of prime
importance. Therefore, specialized safety tempered glass is
used in construction of side windows.
• Tempered glass does not shatter into dangerous sharp
shards. Instead, it breaks into tiny blunt pebble-shaped
granular chunks that do not cause any injury.
• Therefore, it is mostly used in automotive industry to
manufacture a vehicle’s side windows and rear windshield
• It also offers great visibility and resistant to the harsh weather
conditions on the road.
• AIS Stronglas is one of the toughest and most durable
architectural tempered glasses in the industry.
• It is several times stronger than ordinary base glass while
also retaining its light transmission and energy properties.
• It lowers the risk of impact-related breakage, and is
commonly used in table tops, balustrades, shelves, facades,
partitions, wash basins, canopies, and shower enclosures.
• Temperlite-LT from AIS Glass is one of the best tempered
glasses manufactured in India.
• It is primarily used for a car’s side window glass and rear
windshield glass since it is does not break into sharp pieces,
thereby protecting the passengers from injury.
• It is up to five times sturdier than annealed glass, but with the
exact same thickness.
To know more about AIS Stronglas, Temperlite-LT or other interesting offerings from AIS Glass,
you can find us here:
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+aisglass
AIS - World Of Glass: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ais.trumpet&hl=en