Effective Time Management         First Things First
Effective Time ManagementWhat are our Expectations  from this Program?
Effective Time Management ??      Effective Management of Myself         I manage myself for what?I manage myself to achie...
Effective Time Management                   ExerciseList five things that are very important to you                       ...
Effective Time ManagementObjectives:At the end of this workshop you will be able to: –   Identify and describe some princi...
Why Manage Myself?If I do not manage myself         then             I get managed
Why Manage Myself? We are managed by our own perceptions We are managed by our environment We are managed by our habits...
Remember to . . .Watch your thoughts -   they become wordsWatch your words -  they become actionsWatch your actions -  the...
THE ICEBERG       ONLY 10% OF       ANY ICEBERG IS       VISIBLE. THE       REMAINING 90%       IS BELOW SEA       LEVEL.
THE ICEBERG    VISIBLEABOVE SEA LEVEL                   10 %                                SEA LEVEL   INVISIBLEBELOW SEA...
THE ICEBERG KNOWNTO OTHERS                BEHAVIOR                                             SEA LEVELUNKNOWNTO OTHERS  ...
THE ICEBERG              PERSONALITY KNOWNTO OTHERS        ETHIC                              SEA LEVELUNKNOWNTO OTHERS   ...
THE ICEBERG KNOWNTO OTHERS                BEHAVIOR                                             SEA LEVELUNKNOWNTO OTHERS  ...
Choose Your BehaviorStimulus             Response           REACTIVE              Case
Choose Your Behavior                REACTIVE     Stimulus             Response   PROACTIVE         RESPONSIBLE            ...
NEVER LET OTHERS    dICTATE YOUR BEHAVIOUR
The Two Main Tools     The Clock  And The Compass
The Clock  The Clockrepresents ourcommitments,appointments,  schedules, activities etc.
The Compass Compass represents  our vision, values,  principles, mission,  conscience and  direction What we feel is  im...
Struggle between the Clock and         the Compass                       What we feel we should do                        ...
Wake up Calls A warning letter on your performance Fail in a subject; backlog A loved one dies You meet with an accide...
Clock Vs Compass Efficiency Vs EffectivenessLeadership before Management
Time Management Matrix    Urgent              Not Urgent    Urgent &           Not Urgent but    Important            Impo...
Time Management Matrix        Urgent                    Not Urgent  •Crises                     •Preparation  •Pressing Pr...
Quick Summary Principles of Effective Time Management     Clock and the Compass     Efficiency and Effectiveness     Le...
Quadrant II OrganisingThe main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing•What determines your „First things‟?    - Ur...
Q II OrganisingThe objective is:Not to set schedule in cementbutto create the frameworkin which quality decisionsbased on ...
Create a decision making framework                REACTIVE     Stimulus             Response           RESPONSIBLE        ...
‘Right is better’ Vs ‘More is better’From activity oriented time managementto result oriented time management             ...
Identify your big rocks
STEPS INVOLVED IN EFFECTIVE TIME MANAGEMENT                                      PLAN YOUR DAY                            ...
Through this paradigm shift You begin to see time differently  You become empowered to put          First things first
Time Management Session by Lawrence Alva
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Time Management Session by Lawrence Alva

2,280 views

Published on

Published in: Technology, Business
1 Comment
2 Likes
Statistics
Notes
No Downloads
Views
Total views
2,280
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
283
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
94
Comments
1
Likes
2
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Time Management Session by Lawrence Alva

  1. 1. Effective Time Management First Things First
  2. 2. Effective Time ManagementWhat are our Expectations from this Program?
  3. 3. Effective Time Management ?? Effective Management of Myself I manage myself for what?I manage myself to achieve my purpose in life
  4. 4. Effective Time Management ExerciseList five things that are very important to you or Make a list of five factors which are very important to your life
  5. 5. Effective Time ManagementObjectives:At the end of this workshop you will be able to: – Identify and describe some principles of time management (managing myself) – List the benefits of understanding my time in relation to my purpose
  6. 6. Why Manage Myself?If I do not manage myself then I get managed
  7. 7. Why Manage Myself? We are managed by our own perceptions We are managed by our environment We are managed by our habits We are managed by other people
  8. 8. Remember to . . .Watch your thoughts - they become wordsWatch your words - they become actionsWatch your actions - they become your destiny
  9. 9. THE ICEBERG ONLY 10% OF ANY ICEBERG IS VISIBLE. THE REMAINING 90% IS BELOW SEA LEVEL.
  10. 10. THE ICEBERG VISIBLEABOVE SEA LEVEL 10 % SEA LEVEL INVISIBLEBELOW SEA LEVEL 90 %
  11. 11. THE ICEBERG KNOWNTO OTHERS BEHAVIOR SEA LEVELUNKNOWNTO OTHERS VALUES – STANDARDS – JUDGMENTS ATTITUDE MOTIVES – ETHICS – BELIEFS THOUGHTS
  12. 12. THE ICEBERG PERSONALITY KNOWNTO OTHERS ETHIC SEA LEVELUNKNOWNTO OTHERS CHARACTER ETHIC
  13. 13. THE ICEBERG KNOWNTO OTHERS BEHAVIOR SEA LEVELUNKNOWNTO OTHERS VALUES – STANDARDS – JUDGMENTS ATTITUDE MOTIVES – ETHICS – BELIEFS THOUGHTS
  14. 14. Choose Your BehaviorStimulus Response REACTIVE Case
  15. 15. Choose Your Behavior REACTIVE Stimulus Response PROACTIVE RESPONSIBLE My Choice My ResponseStimulus
  16. 16. NEVER LET OTHERS dICTATE YOUR BEHAVIOUR
  17. 17. The Two Main Tools The Clock And The Compass
  18. 18. The Clock The Clockrepresents ourcommitments,appointments, schedules, activities etc.
  19. 19. The Compass Compass represents our vision, values, principles, mission, conscience and direction What we feel is important and how we lead our lives
  20. 20. Struggle between the Clock and the Compass What we feel we should do What we want to doWhat we actually do!
  21. 21. Wake up Calls A warning letter on your performance Fail in a subject; backlog A loved one dies You meet with an accident You discover you have a terminal illness
  22. 22. Clock Vs Compass Efficiency Vs EffectivenessLeadership before Management
  23. 23. Time Management Matrix Urgent Not Urgent Urgent & Not Urgent but Important Important I II Urgent but Not Urgent & Not Important Not Important III IV
  24. 24. Time Management Matrix Urgent Not Urgent •Crises •Preparation •Pressing Problems •Prevention •Deadline-driven •Value Clarification Projects, meetings, •Planning preparations •Relationship Building I •True Recreation II •Empowerment •Interruptions, •Trivia, busy work some phone calls •Some phone calls •Some mail, some •Time wasters reports •“Escape activities” •Some meetings •Irrelevant mail •Many popular •Small Talk activities III IV
  25. 25. Quick Summary Principles of Effective Time Management  Clock and the Compass  Efficiency and Effectiveness  Leadership before Management  Importance and UrgencyKeeping in mind the above principles,where should we focus, to be more effective?
  26. 26. Quadrant II OrganisingThe main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing•What determines your „First things‟? - Urgency oryour purose, which is, Importance•What do you do when you are torn between differentroles in your life?•How do you respond to an urgent need or anunexpected opportunity?
  27. 27. Q II OrganisingThe objective is:Not to set schedule in cementbutto create the frameworkin which quality decisionsbased on importancecan be made on a day by day, moment by moment basis
  28. 28. Create a decision making framework REACTIVE Stimulus Response RESPONSIBLE My Choice My ResponseStimulus
  29. 29. ‘Right is better’ Vs ‘More is better’From activity oriented time managementto result oriented time management A
  30. 30. Identify your big rocks
  31. 31. STEPS INVOLVED IN EFFECTIVE TIME MANAGEMENT PLAN YOUR DAY PLAN YOUR WEEK GOALS KEY ROLES PERSONAL MISSION
  32. 32. Through this paradigm shift You begin to see time differently  You become empowered to put First things first

×