Content Event and types Event management Market research in Event planning SWOT analysis in event planning Event planning – with concept of 5 W’s Event Venue Selection Event marketing Event evaluation Feedback Quick overview
What is an Event?An event can be described as a public assembly for the purpose of celebration,education, marketing or reunion. Events can be classified on the basis of theirsize, type and context.Types:-•Corporate Events – Events like Y2B, HR Summit and etc.•Education and career events – Events like education and career fair,workshop, seminar, debate, contest, competition etc.•Social Events – Events like balkalakaar, Impact week, Discovering hope,Udaan and etc.
What is Event Management?Event Management is the process of analyzing, planning, marketing, producingand evaluating an event. It is a different way of promoting a product, service oridea. If an event is managed efficiently and effectively, it can be used as a verypowerful promotional tool to launch or market a product or service. EventsManagement requires certain core values to be deployed to every element,process and decision to justify professional approach and achieve effective andefficient results
Market Research in Event Planning• Market ResearchBefore organizing an event, find out whether there is a market (i.e. audience) for your intended event or not. For e.g. you want to organize a BKK in US. If societal need is not met with event objective, then it is not a good idea to organize such event there. The event will fail for sure.• Market Analysis (Understanding with general example)If there is a market for your intended event, then do market analysis. Market Analysis means finding information about your target audience. Find out who are your target audience i.e. there age group, sex, qualification, profession, knowledge level, income, status, likings, disliking, personality, customs, traditions, religion, lifestyle etc. Knowing your target audiences customs, traditions and religion is very important so that we don’t hurt there customs and religion unknowingly through our event. For e.g. if you organize a Hindu wedding and serve beef there, then u will be in mortal danger as cow is considered as a sacred animal in Hindu religion. Similarly serving pork in a Muslim function can bring havoc. Find out where majority of your target audience live so that you can direct your marketing efforts towards them. There is no point in advertising across US if your target audience belongs only to New Jersey. In this way you can cut down your advertising and marketing cost tremendously. Find out what are the desires and expectations of target audience from your intended event. Find out when (i.e. date and time) and where (i.e. venue) they want the intended event to take place. For this you will have to do survey. All this information will help you in developing a better event plan.
• Competitors AnalysisIt means finding information about your competitors. Find out who are your competitors .i.e. their age, sex, qualifications, knowledge level, experience in organizing events, turnover, market value, PR (media and corporate contacts) and market share. Find out how they promote and execute there events. What they do in there events? Why people come to there events? For this you will have to attend each and every event organized by your competitors and then create an event report. The event report will contain things like• - seating and light arrangements• - promotional materials used• - blueprint of the whole venue• - program and food menu• - contact details of sponsors, partners, clients (for whom the event is organized)• - Service providers like DJs, Anchors, Make up artist, Performers, photographers, videographers, decorator, florist etc.Find out as much information as possible about events organized by your competitors.
SWOT Analysis in Event Planning• Products/Services ResearchIf you are organizing a corporate event then it is necessary for you as an event manager to do research of the products/ services promoted and sold by your corporate client.• Find out how the company promotes its products• How the company wants to build/enhance the image associated with its product (also known as the brand image)?• What is the market value and market share of the company and its products?• Who are the customers of the product?• What are the features of the product?• What are the advantages and disadvantages of the product in comparison to competitors products?All this research will later help you in making an effecting promotional campaign for your corporate event.
• SWOT AnalysisIt is a strategic planning tool which is used to identify and analyze the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats involved in your project. SWOT analysis can also be done on your organization.Strengths:These are the attributes of your project/organization which are helpful in achieving projects objectives. For e.g.: experienced event team, high motivation level, excellent PR, good market share etc.Weaknesses:These are those attributes of your project/organization which are harmful in achieving projects objectives. For e.g.: social loafing, lack of funds, inexperienced event team, low energy level, lack of media and corporate contacts etc.Opportunities:These are those external factors which are helpful in achieving the projects objectives. For e.g.: little competition, favorable economic conditions, support from the local authorities, availability of the state of the art infrastructure etc.Threats:These are those external factors which are harmful in achieving the projects objectives. For e.g.: high competition, little or no support from local authorities, bad weather, poor infrastructure, high lab our rate, unavailability of raw material etc. It is very important that you conduct SWOT analysis before developing an event plan to develop a strategy which maximizes the potential of strengths and opportunities of your project and at the same time, minimizes the impact of the weaknesses and threats.
• Analysis ReportAfter conducting market, competitors, product/service research and SWOT analysis, create a report which contain details of all the research work done by you. Documentation of your research work is important, later for event evaluation. Your analysis report will also help you in getting sponsorship for your event.
Events planning – with 5 W’s ConceptWe follow 5 Ws (i.e. Why, What, When, Where, Who) principle to create anevent plan.•WhyWhy means, why you want to organize the event i.e. event objective. What doyou want to get from the event? For e.g.: do you want to organize the event toenhance your companys brand image, to increase companys sales, to promoteyour clients products/services or to promote a social cause etc. Defining eventobjectives at the very start of event planning is very important as it gives youthe direction in which you should proceed to accomplish your objectives.Organizing an event without clear objectives is a huge waste of both time andresources.
• WhatWhat means what you are going to do in the event i.e. what will be the:Event Name What will be the name of the event? For example: ‘BKK".Food and Beverage Menu It contains the list of food items and beverages you will serve during the event to guests and target audienceGuests Profile who will be your chief guest and other guests? Your guest list must include organizers, sponsors, partners, clients and specially media people. Use your imagination to create good titles to woo your guests. Like Guest of honor, star guest etc. Never give special treatment to one particular guest or guests group.Type of Entry Decide how will be the entry. Entry will be by ticket, pass or invitation only.Entry fees What will be the entry fees? If you are going to charge entry fees, then be prepared to pay entertainment tax. Your entry fees should be according to your target audiences status. If you overcharge you won’t get any audience.Promotional Campaign How you are going to promote your event, organizers, sponsors, partners and clients: - pre-event, at-event and post-event.Program Menu It is the list of various activities that will occur as a part of the event.Event Budget to determine your event budget finds out what will be the cost for producing and marketing the event.
• WhenWhen you are going to organize the event (i.e. date and time)? Keep following things in mind while selecting date and time for the event:1) Select date and time according to target audience convenience and availability. For e.g.: dont organize events during work days, examination days or festival times. The best time to organize events is during weekends like Saturday or Sunday.2) Make sure that your events date and time, dont clash with other events date and time specially bigger events date and time. For e.g.: it is not a good idea to organize your music concert on a day when there is Bon Jovi concert.3) Keep climatic conditions into mind while selecting date and time for your event. It can be disastrous to organize event outdoor on a day when the weather is stormy or heavy rain is expected. Here you can take help of your own experience if you are familiar with the climatic conditions of the region where you intend to organize the event or you can take the help of the meteorological department for the weather forecast. Find out how the weather will be on the day of your event.
• WhereWhere you are going to organize the event (i.e. venue)? Check out the venue selection tips.• WhoWho will be your organizers, sponsors, partners, clients and target audience? How many target audience you are expecting to visit the event and why? You must have very good reason to this Why as you will have to convince your prospective organizers and sponsors that why particular number of people will attend the event.
Event Venue SelectionKeep following things in mind while selecting a venue for your event:1) Target Audience/Guest SizeThis means the number of people you are expecting to attend your event. Make surethat your venue can easily accommodate your expected target audience. Your venueshould not be too small or too large for your guests. If too small, then your guestswill feel discomfort. If it is too large then you will unnecessarily end up paying morefor the venue. Get firm indications whether guests plan to attend your event bysending R.S.V.P clearly printed on the invitation. The term R.S.V.P is a Frenchacronym. Its meaning in English is Please Respond. If R.S.V.P is printed on theinvitation then the invited guest is expected to tell the host whether or not he/she isattending the event. Since many people dont understand the meaning of this termor dont bother to reply back, it is advisable to individually call and ask your guestsabout there plan to attend the event. In this way you can get quite accurate idea ofthe guest size which will help you in deciding food and beverage quantities also.P.S: Here guest indicates to school and NGO responsible for kids who areparticipating
2) Target Audience ConvenienceSelect venue according to target audience convenience. Your venue should notbe very far from the place where majority of your target audience live. Yourvenue should have proper lighting and ventilation. It should not be in a noisy orpolluted area. It should be absolutely neat and clean and free from any type ofinfestation.3) Venue HistoryBefore hiring a venue check out the history of the venue. Find out how manyevents have been organized in the venue so far. In this way you can find outwhether or not venue and the staff there is event friendly. This will help youimmensely when you later organize event there as you will have to do lessamount of work in making the venue suitable for the event. If venue has noiseordinance problems in the past like neighbors calling the cops to shut down theevent, then it is not a good idea to organize event there especially outdoorevent.
) Venue ServicesBefore hiring a venue check out the number of services provided by the venue like:Parking facilityMake sure venue has its own parking space. It should be big enough to accommodate yourtarget audiences vehicles conveniently. If parking space is not adequate then look for othervenue. Never compromise on parking space especially if you are organizing event on a largescale.Security ArrangementsSecurity of guests, service providers and target audience is a very important issue which shouldnever be neglected or compromised at any cost. Make sure that your venue has adequatenumber of fire extinguishers, fire alarms, emergency escape routes, sprinkler system (a systemconsist of overhead pipes designed to control or extinguish fires), security personals, handicapramps, security cameras, first aid kits and power backup (like generator, inverter, UPS). Yourvenue must have separate entrance and exit gates and it should not be more than 30 minutesaway from the nearest hospital. If your venue is at a remote location then presence of doctorand ambulance is a must. Also make sure your mobile phone properly works there. If yourmobile phone network area is weak there or doesnt exist then you must have some othermodes of communication like satellite phone. For large scale events presence of fire fighters,fire engine, police, paramedical team with ambulance is a must.
5) Venue FeesAsk following questions from venue manager before hiring a venue:Q1) What is the venue fee? Does it include all other taxes? (Negotiate rental fee to ensure the bestdeal.)Q2) What is included in the venue fee? Is dance floor included in venue fee? Are table, chairs andlinens included in the venue fee? Is security and liability coverage included in the venue fees?Q3) What is not included in the venue fee?Q4) Is there any cost for parking? Generally parking space is provided free of the cost by the venuebut some venues may charge separately for parking facility.Q5) What is the price range for a seated/buffet lunch and dinner?Q6) What are the Corkage fees? i.e. fees to server liquor. Make sure that venue has the license toserve alcohol. Check the license for expiration date.Q7) What is the cost of sleeping rooms?Q8) What is your cost per person and per food item?Q9) What are your bartending and bar set up fees?Q10) What are your fees and how do you charge for providing additional services? Such as floraldecoration, fireworks, audio-visual aids; staging, lighting, props, decor for event production etc.Q11) What modes of payments are available?Q12) What are your payment, refund and cancellation policies?
Event MarketingSteps involved in creating a promotional campaign for your eventStep 1: Setup advertising objectives.Why you want to advertise? What is your objective of advertising? What do youwant to get through advertising? For example:- You want to advertise to create awareness about your event.- You want to advertise to get sponsors and clients for your events-You want to advertise to thank you your sponsors and clients.Step 2: Decide your promotional ActivitiesHow you are going to promote AIESEC, your organizers, your sponsors, yourclients and your partners, pre-event, at-event and post-event. Before I go anyfurther, lets get an idea of what is media and what is media vehicle.
Media refers to various means of communications. Broadly speaking thereare five categories of media: Print, Electronic, outdoor, Transit andMiscellaneous media. Print media includes: newspapers, magazines, pressreleases, tickets, passes, invitations, banners, posters etc. Electronic mediaincludes TV, Radio, Internet, Telephone, electronic signage etc. Outdoor Mediaincludes Hoardings, Billboards, and Balloons etc. Transit Media includespromotion through cars, cabs, buses, trucks, trains, planes etc. Miscellaneousmedia includes everything else like: events, word of mouth publicity etc.Media vehicle is a specific medium. For e.g. if Internet is media, thenMySpace, Facebook, Twitter, Google, Yahoo etc. are media vehicles. If TV is amedia, then specific TV program like Celebrity Apprentice is a media vehicle.Similarly if magazine is a media, then specific magazine say playboy is a mediavehicle
How Print Media can be used for Promotion1. Promote your event, sponsors and clients through newspapers ads, magazines ads, tradejournals, press releases, tickets, passes, invitations, banners and posters.2. Imprint you sponsor/clients company name and logo on your staffs shirts and caps and onthe pens, diary, gifts, and exhibitors‘ manual and other promotional materials.How Electronic Media can be used for Promotion1. Promote your event, sponsors and clients through TV and Radio Commercials2. Provide free ad space on your companys website where your sponsors and clients canpromote their products and services for particular period of time.3. Develop an event website just to promote your upcoming event and provide a facility foronline registration. All the details regarding the event must be available on the website. For e.g.if your event name is say spark2009, then come up with a website like www.spark2009.com4. Use electronic signage like visual display signage, Plasma Screen, LCD Screen, LED Screen,Projection Screen, Video Walls etc to promote your sponsors and clients.
Event EvaluationSteps Involved in Writing the Evaluation of an EventEvent evaluation is necessary to make you and your team more efficient and effective, the nexttime you organize an event. It is all about finding your mistakes and learning from them. Eventevaluation should be done immediately after the event is over or the next day. Conduct ameeting with your team members to evaluate your event.Step 1: Determine the extent to which event and advertising objectives have beenachieved.If you are not able to achieve your event and advertising objectives through your event, then nomatter how much people enjoyed the event or how much popularity your event got, it is acomplete failure on a commercial level.Step 2: Get feedback from your clients and target audience.One good way of getting feedback is through feedback form. To make sure that your clientsgive you feedback, make the feedback form part of your Exit pass form. The exit pass form isrequired to get exit pass for security clearance, to remove exhibits from the facility. To getfeedback from target audience/ guests, make feedback form part of your gift voucher. A guestcan redeem the gift voucher only when he/she fills the feedback form and give it back to anattendant. These tactics are required to get feedback, as people are generally reluctant to giveany feedback in writing.
FeedbackYou can ask following questions in your feedback form:Q1) Did you enjoy the event? If no, then please state the reason.Q2) what do you like most in the event?Q3) what do you like least in the event?Q4) what are the problems you faced during the event?Q5) what could have been done to make this event better?Q6) How do you rate the various services provided by us (please check one of the option) Hospitality: Excellent, good, average, poor Catering: Excellent, good, average, poor Transportation: Excellent, good, average, poor Management staff behavior: Excellent, good, average, poor Management staff services: Excellent, good, average, poor:Q7) would you like to participate in our next event?Note: Your questionnaire should not have more than 10 questions. You dont want to irritate your guests. Ask only relevantquestions and keep the questionnaire short to 5-6 questions. Of course the type of questions you will ask may change from eventto event. And dont forget to mention the following line in you feedback form: "Thank you for taking the time to complete thisfeedback form".
Quick OverviewStep 1: Do event analysis.Step 2: Prepare an event plan.Step 3: Exhaustively test market your event planDiscuss your event plan with other people to know there opinions and suggestions.Step 4: Get organizers, sponsors, partners and clients for your event.Step 5: Prepare an event calendar. An event calendar is an ordered list of activities which areneeded to be executed in order to produce and market the event. These activities are of threetypes: pre-event, at-event and post-event activities.Steps involved in preparing an event calendarStep 1: Create a list of pre-event, at-event and post event activities.Step 2: Set deadlines for each event activity.Step 3: Assign event activities to individual team members.Note: For large scale events, you will have to prepare a separate event calendar for each field ofevent production.