The big question…
When will it be available to all counties?
How do I get started?
• September-November: Currently finalizing the
template with two pilot counties: Clinton and
• December: Launch two pilot websites
• Early 2011: Other counties will be contacted for
training and to get started.
Next steps for counties
• Hold from creating any new county-based websites
or performing any major redesigns.
• Purge or trim off old content that is no longer
relevant (newsletters from 1999).
• Review the two pilot sites after they are launched
• The Web Services team will contact the counties
when they are ready to move into Plone.
• Focus on content and visitor needs
• Would you start a business at the end of an empty
• Go where the party is at!
How to Behave
• Old rules still apply!
• Know the room
• Look appropriate
• Sound smart
• Observe and adjust
• Make a connection
• Brag modestly
Twitter Good Practices
• Follow those who you want to follow you
• Cross link your efforts
• Tweet about a YouTube video you uploaded
• Be welcoming & friendly - say hello to your new followers or folks that
you would like to get to know.
• Engage people - ask questions and respond to queries that interest you.
• Be humorous - funny Tweets really help to break up the timeline.
• Inform - provide useful information and news items.
• Monitor self-promotion - it is fine to promote your projects and work,
but nobody likes to be spammed all day
• Promote others - “retweet” liberally and highlight good work.
• Listen - there’s no need to dominate the conversation all the time, so
spend some time just reading what others are saying/Tweeting.
• Be human - not always obvious but most important, being a “real”
person is probably the most important trait of any effective Twitter user.
If you build it, will they come?
• Do we place a yellow page ad, and then ask what
we can do to get people to look at it?
• People must be looking for it
• Search engine optimization techniques
• Pay per click/impression advertisements
(Google, Facebook, YouTube)
• Diligence & patience
• Be Interesting
• What’s already going on?
• Think about them, not us
• What can we add to their social network?
• Steal this content!
• Share on social networks
• “Like” or “Recommend” buttons
Social Media Recap
• Talk about others
• Go where the party is at
• Allow your content to be shared
• Be interesting!
Collaboration with Teambox
• Communication and collaboration tool for
teams and projects.
• Move the conversation from inbox to an online
• Available to anyone with a Penn State or friends
of Penn State account. Anyone can create a
• Similar design to Facebook groups and Twitter,
but on an internal and secure server.
Teambox Get Started
• Create account at:
• Penn State Web Access ID: abc123
• Email: The primary email address you use
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
• Need help?
• Go to http://agsci.psu.edu and search college for
Chris More firstname.lastname@example.org (@chrismore)
Max Spiegel email@example.com (@maxspiegel)