Structuration of the
Sustainable food systems
How to reconcile sustainability in urban food supplies
and in local agricultural development?
Urban market transformations Agricultural transformations
Local dvpt dynamics Which technical and organizational innovations (such as producers’
organization) in the use of local territorial resources (technical,
human, natural) can support rural/ urban linkages and synergies?
Domestic public policies Which public policies should be implemented, and how can they be
integrated towards sustainable food systems?
Trade, regional and
Which pathways for regional and international integration can
ensure dynamic and inclusive domestic food systems?
Research and development
on Geographical Indications
• New methodology to build GI specification:
– With local stakeholders
– Based on the specificity of the product, sensorial analysis
– Together with quality management and plan of control
• New methodology to set up GI management :
– Set up GI association with the most motivated stakeholders:
identifiy pilot group, set up cooperatives
– With support of local authorities
• Experiences in VN on many products
– BP cashew nut, QT pepper, PQ nuoc mam
– Evaluation of BMT Coffee GI management in 2016
• Cirad worlwide experience on GIs for coffee
– India, Indonesia, Laos, Guinée (West Africa), Brazil…
• Collaborate to projects on GIs on coffee in
VN and other asian countries
• Work on other certification schemes: fair
trade, ecolabel etc..
• Assess the sustainability of different coffee
value chains and their drivers