• Formed as a consequence of a HR project
• Age UK Derby & Derbyshire
• Derbyshire Friend
The Group produced a DVD
What Am I Afraid Of.
• To provide a training tool to raise
awareness of HR issues among
service providers for older people
• To provide a teaching tool for those
delivering the PHSE curriculum in
schools and colleges
• To promote discussion within
• To offer HR training to interested
persons groups and institutions
The DVD was presented at International
LGBT Conference (Cardiff ) Aug 2011 and
SYR launched its own website
Rainbows End (Oct 2011)
SYR distributed copies of the DVD to all
residential care homes in Derbyshire
SYR distributed copies of the DVD to
every secondary school In Derbyshire
…and we waited….
…. AND WE WAITED!
But responses came eventually
invitations to address:
• A LGBT Group at a secondary school in
• Derbyshire Friend Men’s Group
• LGBT Christian Movement
We have been recently encouraged by
many positive responses to WAIAO.
• We have learned:
• Age UK Scotland has used WAIAO for
• A Care Manager for Hampshire County
Council has requested a copy of the DVD
for equality training purposes.
• Suffolk Age UK is using the DVD in
• Manchester Age UK have requested
WAIAO for training purposes
• The Assistant Chief Constable for
Derbyshire is circulating the DVD among
force contacts and other constabularies.
• Age Action Alliance are circulating the
DVD to a wider audience.
• DCC will be using our DVD in forthcoming
• A Carer in a residential care home
indicated that she had been shown the
DVD as part of her training.
The SYR planned its next Project:
A DVD consisting of a series of animations
focussing upon care package provision
which is consistent with FREDA
We are also collectively working on a
deliverer/user friendly PP presentation
which can be offered as part of a training
programme we hope to offer.
We have produced a DVD consisting of a
song with animations: Make It Better
Challenges facing SYR.
• Ethnic Diversity
• Resources ( both human and material)
To address these problems we have:
• Registered with Derby Community Action
• Opened a Bank Account (Oct 2012)
• Undertaken Skills Audit
• Undertaken SWOT Analysis
• Revisited our Aims and Objectives
• What Next?
More of the same or a change of focus.
Older people and HR in the workplace?
One main purpose of ethics might be to help people
see that human rights abuses are chief among the moral
problems facing the world, and
to urge them to do something about the problems thus
identified…If there is an arena where the greatest
challenges for the future lie, and with them the greatest
need for moral heroism and endeavour. It is in this
sphere… moral heroism is required for us to teach
A C Grayling: The Choices of Hercules.