What is power in interpersonalrelationshipPrinciples of PowerTypes of PowerCommunicating Power
Power is ability to doactInterpersonalRelationship is therelationship betweenpeople that is morepersonal and closer.So.. Power inInterpersonalRelationship is…
• Power influences whatyou do, when you do it,and with whom. Itinfluences your choice infinding friends, romanticpartner and familyrelationships.
• Everyone canincrease theirpower in someways, butalso, powercan bedecreased
• In anyinterpersonalrelationship, theperson who holdsthe power is theone lessinterested in andless dependent onthe rewards andpunishmentscontrolled by theother person. Themore a personneeds arelationship, theless power that aperson has in it.
• Cultures differ inthe amount ofpower thatexists betweenpeople and in theattitudes thatpeople haveabout power.There is a greatpower distancebetween men andwomen in Asian,African, and Arabcultures.
• Sexualharassment– Quid Pro Quo– HostileEnvironmentHarassment
• Power overothers whenthey see you ashaving theability tocommunicatelogically andpersuasively.
• power overothers if youhave the abilityto reward them,rewards may bematerial orsocial.• power overothers when youhave the abilityto administerpunishments orremove rewardsif others fail toyield to yourinfluence.
• Powerfulness orpowerlessness ofpeople arecommunicatedthrough the speech.• There are powerlessforms of speech suchas– Hesitations– Intensifiers– Disqualifiers– Tag questions– Slef-criticalstatements– Slang