• A commercial Linux distribution
• The birth of commercialization in Linux.
• “RedHat Commercial Linux”
• First version of RedHat : November 3, 1994
• 2003 :
– “RedHat Commercial Linux” - > “RedHat Enterprise Linux”.
RedHat | 2
• Marc Ewing creates his own distribution(1994)
• Why the name “RedHat”?
– Partnership with IBM
– Used in all enterprise level, known as the best in
– Revenue : $ 652.6 million
RedHat | 3
• RedHat Enterprise Linux contains more than
• These are the work of over 5 years of develop-
• Wide range of functionalities are covered.
RedHat | 4
• Some features such as:
– Kernal & Performance
RedHat | 5
• Comes in all server products.
• Supports virtualized guest operating systems.
• Virt-Manager. (In windows VMWare can be used)
RedHat | 6
Kernal & Performance
• RedHat is based on linux kernal 2.6.18
• Support for multi core processors.
RedHat | 7
Kernal & Performance
• Symmetric multi-processing support.
• Network accelerator technology.
RedHat | 8
– RedHat Enterprise Linux Advance platform
– RedHat Enterprise Linux (stand alone)
– RedHat Enterprise Linux Desktop (RedHat Desktop)
– RedHat Enterprise Linux Desktop with workstation.
RedHat | 9
• Multi-Level Security and targeted policies for all
• Integrated directory and security capabilities.
• Internet security enhancements and improved
• Real time monitoring and auditing.
RedHat | 10
• Latest ip v6 is supported.
• File printing.
• Active Directory intergration (both windows and
RedHat | 11
• Desktop enhancements include configuration tools,
applications, and laptop support.
• Foundational Stateless Linux features (X Window).
• Integrated Multimedia support.
• Enhanced graphics using fading and transparency
RedHat | 13
• First version was considered as codename “ZOOT”.
• RHEL 2.1 AS “Pensacola”
• RHEL 2.1 AS “Panama”
• RHEL 3 was codenamed as “Taroon”
• RHEL 4 was “Nahtan”
• And currently RHEL 5 is codename “Tikanga”
Although these were the codenames lots of version of
red hat was produced as stable and beta versions.
RedHat | 14
• Eliminate barriers: As redhat is not a closed sourced
operating system. So administrators and users are
able to enhance the OS.
• Eliminate economic barriers: RedHat updates ever
18-24 months, it comes with one time license only.
There for customers doesn’t have to pay for each
and every update.
• Open source ecosystem: It can deploy wide range of
hardware support , which makes it the worlds largest
open source ecosystem.
• Implementation: RedHat can be implemented using
many methods. ie. As a stond alone os and as a
RedHat | 15
• RedHat linux is flexible operating system.
• It can be customized to enterprise needs.
• Incredibly amazing GUI.
• Uses enhanced security, networking and Kernal
• Cost effective.
• Can be implemented easily.
RedHat | 16
Forget about the blues, go with the red
RedHat | 17