Affiliate Activation: 20 Ways to Get Them Cranking
This presentation is from Affiliate Summit West 2016 (January 10-12, 2016 in Las Vegas, NV). Session description: Let’s face it; the vast majority of your affiliates are inactive. It’s paradoxical. You didn’t make them sign up. Discover proven techniques to excite and activate idle affiliates. Q&A at the end.
Pattern to Follow:
1. Remind them of your program details
2. Include reasons to activate
3. Present precoded affiliate links
4. Call to action
5. Provide detailed contact info
1. Approval Email
Excite them to take action
Congratulations! You have just been approved for FTP access to
the HalloweenMart.com's affiliate datafeed.
Import our datafeed soon, send $799 in sales by February 28,
2015, and I will deposit a $50 cash bonus (on top of your
commissions) into your ShareASale account. With our 30-day
affiliate-referred AOV exceeding $50, reaching this goal is not
hard, and we are looking forward to your participation!
5. Activation Incentives
CrazyForBargains widget (on ShareASale)
I sometimes get requests from AMs on what will help
affiliates market the product. I always ask for content
I can use to craft articles, emails, tweets, etc.
I rarely get a response. [bold font added]
10. Content About Product
Content helps them create:
• Blog posts, articles
• Reviews, how-to guides
• Social media content
• Text(s) of email promotions
Interface (API) – a set of
functions and procedures that
allow the creation of
applications which access the
features or data of an
operating system, application,
or other service.
Oxford Pocket Dictionary of Current English
13. Product API Access
“As a retailer, you likely segment your
Segmentation can also be applied to your
affiliate marketing channel. Just as different
types of customers require different levels of
service, different types of affiliates require
— Carolyn Kmet, former Director of Affiliate Marketing at Groupon
Here's how well some of our current affiliates are doing
• SEM: $2,854 1-day commission // $188 EPC
• Email: $1,554 1-day commission // $142 EPC
• Blogging: $2,226 1-day commission // $110 EPC
17. Motivation Thru Examples
Always remove sensitive info!
(URL, names, content, etc)
18. Tailored Suggestions
I recently signed up to one affiliate program that had their act together:
1. It was “manual approval” and I was accepted into the program within 24 hours.
2. I received a nice welcome email with all the names of the outsourced affiliate
3. Shortly after that I was welcomed by the ecommerce the company itself and the
affiliate associates introduced themselves.
4. Over the next week the affiliate management company sent a few
suggestions to get the most out of the program via email.
… I will do my best to promote this company and their products.
What a contrast to about 70% of the other companies that have affiliate programs!
Initial email: max. 4% response
Follow-ups: ≈12% more respond
1. A week from original email
2. 1 more week down the road
3. 2-3 months
4. Half a year
5. A year