Adriane E. Jolly
Diamond Team Leader | Vitel Wireless
Revisiting Your Why
What Is Your Why…
Understanding your WHY is really about uncovering what
you truly want in your business and in your life, and that
will be the catalyst to get you to do the things you need to
do to be successful.
In most network marketing or direct sales companies when
you are getting started it is the first assignment that you are
given or question asked… What is your why?
Many businesses fail the first year…Why?
Most people just quit.
You need a strong Why.
You need a strong enough reason to push through
the rough patches because in business there are
definitely are going to be rough patches. You have
to have the vision of your Why to keep you going.
There will be days that seem that nothing goes right
and if you are leading a team at times you will have
to take on their rough patches as well.
I would like to share with you my Why’s…I have a professional Why and a personal
My Professional Why is to help people become successful and win. Utilizing my
current business as the vehicle to achieve that why.
My Personal Why is my family…not only do I want to provide an education for my
children but leave them a legacy. I am an only child and I want to be able to provide
for my mother because she has been so incredible in my life…my father is no longer
with us but he is the one that gave me my entrepreneurial spirit…and want to create a
business that would make him proud.
Your Why has to be bigger than just Money. Money is a great motivator, but your Why
need to be in place there before the money comes and after the money goes
away…People lose money everyday in many different ways, but that Why gives you
the focus to regain what you may have lost to win again.
Many people confuse their Why with their goals…a Why is not a goal…Goals are
important but your Why is so much bigger than goals. Goals are what you create to
give that step by step blueprint to reach or accomplish your Why.
Your Why is about who you are and what is your purpose.
It is what drives you…it is that fire that burns within…that
burning passion and desire that keeps you going.
Your why has to 99.9% of the reason you are doing your
business or doing whatever you love to do.
It is going to be that very thing that keeps you going when
you may feel that you want to quit.
There is no exception, Your Why needs to be at 99.9% …if
it is anything less when you are experiencing the rough
times you will have a hard time pushing through to
Frederick Nietzsche, a German poet and philosopher said
something that pretty much sums up everything we need to
know about intrinsic motivation:
“He who has a big enough why to live for, can bear almost any
Why is this statement so important? If you know WHY you are
doing something, the path for how to get there becomes less
important and less threatening. You can gain the confidence in
knowing that with a big enough reason for your actions, you
can handle any obstacle that life throws at you.
Let’s take a moment to ask ourselves some thought provoking
questions that may help us discover our Why or revisit the
Why we had when we first started our business.
Write these down…
• What is a goal that you have for yourself that you’d like to accomplish by the end of
this year? In three years? Five years?
• What is your reason WHY you decided to join this business? What does that mean to
you and what does that say about you as a person?
• Do I want/need more money?
• Do I envision more time freedom?
• Do I want to become my own full time boss?
• Do I desire better health?
• What gets you REALLY excited?
• How many hours a week do you work?
• What do you LOVE about your job?
• What do you HATE about your job?
• What do you do with your free time?
• If you had 2 months vacation and all the money you wanted, what would you do?
• How do you like the people you work with?
• What problem scares you to death that more money could solve?
• What do you just absolutely HATE about your life that more
money could solve?
• If you had all the money you needed, what HUGE problem would
• If you had all the TIME in the world to do anything you wanted,
what would you do?
• Other than money, what are you looking for?
• What does your family mean to you?
• What do you want for your own personal growth?
• What you want to accomplish in your lifetime?
• What scares you to death?
• What would it mean to you to help others change their lives?
• What really excites you in life?
• What REALLY makes you angry about your life?
• What would you like to give the people you love most?
• What really, really gets you emotional?
Answer the previous questions and you will be well on your way to finding your Why.
Then take your Why or Why’s and write them down where you can see them everyday…
• A vision board , dream board or dream book
• Post it notes
• Make a video
• Keep a journal
• Get creative
It’s important to write them down to get to know what drives you, so when you don’t feel like picking
up the phone, sending emails or other income producing activities… look at your reasons and say to
yourself “if I do go ahead and get this task done, it is going to take me closer to my goals.
Put your Why in front of yourself at least twice a day. ..In the morning when you wake up and at night
before you go to bed.
Share your why to someone you trust and ask them to hold you accountable for achieving your Why
and remind you of them when you need them to.
Share your why to connect with your prospects and finding those who have similar needs, wants and
desires and then helping them get an effective plan of action in place.
Your Why is crucial to the success of your business and will
give you staying power and purpose.
Creating your Why or Re-visiting your Why often, will keep
the fuel in the fire… give you the motivation that keeps you
going and growing in your business. You’ll discover that all
the things you feel you have to do for your business are
really choices that you are making to serve some higher
purpose. Choices that will lead you where you want to go.
Your Why is crucial to moving forward and becoming
successful in your business.
In ending this call I would want to leave you with one
statement…Just don’t quit…Never quit on your Why.
Sources: http://markblackspeaks.com/what-is-your-why/; http://selfdiscoverylessons.wordpress.com/lesson-4-discovering-your-why/;
To Learn More About Me and Vitel Wireless
My Blog Site: