slides from a seminar delivered as part of a student startup programme that explored the drivers for enterprises and businesses to become more explicitly 'social', and the options, opportunities and risks that this might entail
Salford Enterprise Acadey 03.14 - should your enterprise be social as well as profitable
Should your enterprise be social as
well as being profitable?
In the next 90 mins (or less...)
• Drivers for enterprises to be more 'social'
• Benefits of enterprises being 'social'
• Risks of enterprises being 'social'
• Options for how to explore...
Some opening words of
reassurance about me...
• one of top500 most influential tweeters about social
• Support private firms with #csr
• Approved auditor for the 'Responsible Business
What I’m assuming about you:
• You have an idea
• You know what you’re about
• You’re honest with yourself
What I don't know about you:
I know why I'm here, but why are you?
What we mean by a 'social'...
• 'social enterprise'
• 'social business'
• 'responsible business'
Why businesses are becoming 'social'...
– Companies Act
– Employment law
– Environmental rules
– Public Services (social value)
- “Generation Y “
(job fulfilment over financial
• Changing attitudes
What could possibly go wrong?
Reputation easier to damage
Exponential expectations from others
• Tougher decisions?
• Reduced margins?
How to start to explore:
• Talk to others – customers, suppliers,
• What are the trends in your industry?
• Quality assurance/management standards
• What options are there in your business
What could you 'design' in your business
model • Environment
– Travel, waste, energy
– Local jobs, support local causes
– Supply chain, complaints, paying bills
– Communication, business practices