• More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each month
• Over 6 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube—that's almost an hour for
every person on Earth
• 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
• 80% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US
• YouTube is localized in 61 countries and across 61 languages
• According to Nielsen, YouTube reaches more US adults ages 18-34 than any cable network
• Millions of subscriptions happen each day. The number of people subscribing daily is up more
than 3x since last year, and the number of daily subscriptions is up more than 4x since last year
• Some essential pre-requisites to set up Youtube advertising are:
• A youtube channel
• An Adwords account
• You need to link your Youtube channel to your adwords account. There are two ways to do it:
• Go to your channel settings: On left side you see an option which says “Link to adwords account”.
• Login to your adwords account. Under All campaigns, create a new campaign and select Online Video from the dropdown.
Once in, on your left you will get an option which says “Link my youtube channel”
• YouTube videos only have a shelf life of two days before it is moved out from the Daily Most Viewed list to the
Weekly Most Viewed. So the key here is to make sure that it’s getting viewed more and more each day.
• Monetize your video: Go to my channel settings, under features on left side you get an option of Monetize of
video. You need to enable this option in order to get video ads to be run on your videos.
Type of Ads
• Youtube Mastheads: The big banner ad on the homepage
• True View In-stream: Video ads running on the video(start/middle/end)
• True View In-display: Video ads which show up on the right side of the video or on the search
• Survey Ads: A question with multiple options is shown to users
• Call to action overlay ads: The ads which pops up on the bottom of the video
• Annotations: This is a non-paid feature where you can setup annotations on your videos
• Youtube Cards: These are a kind of extension to Annotations
• These are the ads which are shown on Youtube homepage
• These kind of ads cannot be setup internally. A marketer has to contact Google’s advertising team to book slots for it.
• One is charged on a CPD(Cost per Day) model for these kind of ads and it has to be booked a couple of weeks in advance
• Based on experience, a single day cost for running a Youtube masthead varies from 10 lakh INR to 15 lakh INR or $300,000 to $800,000.
• There are three kind of masthead ads:
• Desktop Custom Masthead: This is a 970 x 250 pixel in-page unit that spans the full width of the YouTube homepage below the navigation bar. This ad unit
can include a video, and can drive brand relevant activity and an increase in branded search
• Desktop Universal Video Masthead: This is a 780 x 195 video ad unit that runs on the YouTube homepage, and includes a video on one side and either an
information panel or a flash/image panel on the other. The flash/image panel can optionally expand when the user clicks on it, and user can also close the
• Mobile Video Masthead: This ad will appear on the homepage of all YouTube mobile and tablet properties, including the Android native mobile app, the iOS
app, and m.youtube.com for smartphones and tablets. This ad unit features a video thumbnail, channel icon, and customizable headline and description
True View In-stream Ads
• These are the video ads which run on different Youtube videos, display network videos, games and apps.
There are broadly two kinds of In-stream ads:
• Skippable Ads: A user can choose to skip the ads after five seconds. However, an advertiser will not be charged unless the ad
is watched completely or at the 30 second mark, whichever comes first.
• Non skippable ads: These ads cannot be skipped by users and can be 15-30 seconds long. One has to contact Google’s
advertising team to run these kind of ads. Though they may generate higher revenue for the uploaded but they also have a
higher video abandonment rate.
• One can run the skippable video ads through Adwords account. Pre-requisites for running in-stream ads are:
• Youtube video URL
• A companion GIF, JPG or SWF file is optional
• A display URL
• A click URL
True View In-display Ads
• There are three kind of in-display ads:
• YouTube Promoted Videos overlay
• Promoted videos suggestions and related videos
• Google Click-to-Play ads
• One is charged only when viewers choose to watch your ad by clicking a
• One can set up In-display ads through Adwords account while setting up a
• If you would have noticed, at times you get a short question on Youtube video
with multiple options.
• These are called Brand Lift: Survey ads on Youtube and are powered by Google
• Advertisers can run surveys to measure their display and video campaigns in
AdWords, to better understand the impact of their ads in real-time.
• These kind of ads are being used primarily by the market research companies.
Call to action overlay ads
• The best thing about these ads are that there is no extra cost involved with them.
• If one has an Adwords account for True View ads, he can create overlays for
videos across Youtube
• One can add overlay ads on own videos by going into My Videos in My Account
• Additionally, if you want to run overlay ads on other videos, you need to login to
your Adwords account and go into Video Campaigns and choose Call-to-action-
• These are the text message which pops up on Youtube videos
• One can create these messages through his Youtube channel by going into Video Manager.
• There are five different kind of annotations:
• Speech bubble: for creating pop-up speech bubbles with text.
• Spotlight: for highlighting areas in a video; when the user moves the mouse over these areas the text you
enter will appear.
• Note: for creating pop-up boxes containing text.
• Title: for creating a text overlay to title your video.
• Label: for creating a label to call out and name a specific part of your video.
• This is a new addition to Youtube. They are an extension to annotations where a user sees a small
image along with text instead of just a simple message.
• There are five kind of cards you can run:
• Merchandise card: These cards can promote a creator’s licensed merchandise directly from the video. In order to run these
cards, your account should be verified and should be in good standing.
• Fundraising card: These cards can link viewers directly to projects on whitelisted fundraising sites. You can choose from a
number of approved destination URLs and the card will display a top-level URL.
• Video or playlist card: This card can link to another public YouTube video or playlist which can be of interest to the viewer of
the current video. Note that linking to an individual video within a playlist will default to the playlist.
• Associated website card: This card links directly to your associated website.
• Fan Funding card: This card lets your fans show their appreciation for your videos, by making a monetary contribution
directly on the video page. Please note that you need to enable Fan funding for your channel(which also asks for the account
to be verified), before including the Fan Funding Card in your videos.