Strayer economies of colonial empires-March 19th in class
UNDER EUROPEAN RULE . . .
ECONOMIC CHANGES . . .
ECONOMIES of FORCED LABOR
• Colonial subjects were required / forced to work as
unpaid laborers on public projects like building
railroads, constructing government buildings, and
• French Africa – 10-12 days labor per year
• Belgian Congo – private companies with state support
terrorized natives to collect rubber
• Netherlands East Indies – peasants required to turn 20%
of their land into cash crop agriculture
• Portuguese Mozambique – brutal enforcement of cotton
Comparing Colonial Economies
• What was different/distinctive (5 differences-be
specific and give examples) about European
colonial empires of the 19th century? (930-932)
• Cash Crop Agriculture (934-935)
– Give examples of the kinds of cash-crop agriculture
that occurred in the colonies
– Give the ways that cash-crop agriculture changed the
lives of colonized peoples
• Wage Labor (935-938)
– Give examples of the kinds of wage labor that was
available in the colonies.
– Give the ways that working for wage labor changes
the lives of colonized peoples.